Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 25-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
Buddhabelly
Egg

Mine usually go out april till september. This year they have been in more than out.

They are now at the size where they will be out 24/7 I need to get the shed sorted before the winter.
Buddhabelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
Fred123
Hatched

Hi, how did you cope last night with them having a sleep out? Its always nervous first time. Ours are out all night at the moment, but with the rubbish summer we are keeping an eye on the weather. I am sure that they loved it.
Fred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

get your torts out for the lads

it has been cold and wet all day here after some sunny spells yesterday. I thought they were under cover out there but when I went to make sure, one of them was under a bush soaking wet and stone cold
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #14
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
get your torts out for the lads

it has been cold and wet all day here after some sunny spells yesterday. I thought they were under cover out there but when I went to make sure, one of them was under a bush soaking wet and stone cold
Been there , did you talk to yourself when spotted Tort, like bloody hell what you doing out in the cold and rain, or word's to that effect.
Old 31-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
LincsBren
Incubating

What sort of temps would you guys consider a minimum for leaving out?

My girls have a large outdoor enclosure (12' x 6') with lots of hiding places (2 sunk plant pots, 1 oblong terracotta plant pot, a wooden shelter, a broken half chimney, and loads of tall weeds). We have also placed an older window (single glazed) over one corner of the shelter to provide a bit of a hot spot (about 1' x 2.5' area).

The girls are a year old, just over 100g each. I have plastic mesh roof panels to cover the whole area so it's predator-proof and we dug in wire mesh so the girls can't dig out but it's still free-draining and won't flood (and we have definitely had the rain to test it since we first built it!!)

So I'm just worrying about temperatures. I haven't been leaving them out overnight at all - although they nearly got left out last night as I suddenly remembered them at 11pm and had to find them - took an hour to find Luna as she was well sheltered under weeds! I over-wintered them and the room they were in tended to drop to around 9-10 degrees overnight, although they did also have a heatmat on thermostat set to 20 degrees, but most of the time the girls didn't sleep on the mat. So, am I right in thinking if the overnight temperature is not forecast to drop below 10 degrees they would be ok overnight?
LincsBren is offline   Reply With Quote