Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 15-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
ibizathetort
Adult

Default Starting to worry worry worry

Hey everyone

I have posted on here before about moving into my first home in Manchester. Its a new build with a shed included so the plan was to let my 5 horsfields live outside 24/7 with access to the heated shed, as I think this is the best possible lifestyle a tortoise can enjoy in our climate.

I'm not boasting but it is in one of the more upmarket areas, and it seems because of this it is being targeted more and more for burglaries and theft. Now I'm really torn, is it a risk to let my girls live outside or should I let these worries ruin what would be the best lifestyle for them?

What does everyone else do for security if their tortoises live outside? It'd ruin me if my girls got pinched
Hatchling Horsfield - Bora
Hatchling Horsfield - Bossa
Hatchling Horsfield - Jet

ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Suze65
Adult

I'm quite lucky cos I'm at home all day, but I do bring them into the house at night in boxes, under lock and key. It is very scary, I know

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

why not ask your local police for their advice, I have seen various things you can do to protect your property on tv programmes so I'm sure they must have that imformation.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
kazzabb
Hatched

When we were having a new roof put on, I asked if I could have a couple of turrets built in, big enough for a massive tripod with 'something to be mounted on it' and very bright 1 metre diameter floodlight, oh and a tin hat. It would have been easy to get a rifle or shotgun licence around her as it's rural, and I'm not mad. Hubby denied all such requests. He said if they want to get in, they'll get in whatever we do, the only thing we can do, is put deterrents in their way. So as most burglaries are opportunistic, and the people who do it, are so thick or stoned or drunk that they can't be bothered to get around obstacles and would just go somewhere else. If your girls come into the shed every night, just put a proper no-messing-about padlock on it, and I would suggest security lights especially those which record when they come on, they are cheap. A mesh enclosure which would be a real fag to get into (preferably linked up to the Grid), and several massive dug-out bear pits each with a light dusting of twigs and leaves over the top, and some public liability insurance just in case a burgler falls into the pit and twists his ankle - not that his ankle would be a problem, it would be to compensate for the other injuries incurred post-capture.
Karen
Old 15-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Suze65
Adult

A no messing about approach then , I agree make it as difficult as possible to get near. A lady I got one of mine from, had an extension built on to her house, to hibernate them in. A proper building, locked and everything, and someone broke in and stole some in their hibernation boxes.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzabb View Post
When we were having a new roof put on, I asked if I could have a couple of turrets built in, big enough for a massive tripod with 'something to be mounted on it' and very bright 1 metre diameter floodlight, oh and a tin hat. It would have been easy to get a rifle or shotgun licence around her as it's rural, and I'm not mad. Hubby denied all such requests. He said if they want to get in, they'll get in whatever we do, the only thing we can do, is put deterrents in their way. So as most burglaries are opportunistic, and the people who do it, are so thick or stoned or drunk that they can't be bothered to get around obstacles and would just go somewhere else. If your girls come into the shed every night, just put a proper no-messing-about padlock on it, and I would suggest security lights especially those which record when they come on, they are cheap. A mesh enclosure which would be a real fag to get into (preferably linked up to the Grid), and several massive dug-out bear pits each with a light dusting of twigs and leaves over the top, and some public liability insurance just in case a burgler falls into the pit and twists his ankle - not that his ankle would be a problem, it would be to compensate for the other injuries incurred post-capture.
Karen
Wow not coming to yours for tea
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
pagan queen
Adult

We live in an "upmarket area" too and I've never left my torts out over night for the reasons you say and also we are rural so have foxes and badgers walking right past our back garden gate and in the garden at times. We don't get much burglary round here and because we back on to a huge expanse of farmland with no lighting, our little bit of the area seems largely untouched by thieves. But there is always the risk someone might decide the torts are an easy target. I don't think I could sleep if I left them outside.

There are shed alarms you can buy, something like this. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002JCTR1..._df_B002JCTR1K

Or this. http://www.amazon.co.uk/GARAGE-CARAV...rds=shed+alarm
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband

Last edited by pagan queen; 15-05-2013 at 03:15 PM.
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
yuna1971
Adult

If it were me.... And there was that kind of worry, for my own piece if mind and to ensure it doesn't happen..I would bring them in.
That's just me, and I only have the 1 though. I'm sure it would be difficult if you have more than 1, or 2.
I gather no ones house has been targeted in the daytime?

Difficult decision mate, not sure. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
emma_mcraf
Adult

I always bring mine in at night. I wouldn't sleep for hearing noises constantly in the garden otherwise. What a horrid dilemma for you.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
Gordon
Adult

you could always put up some cameras have a look on maplins website they have some offers on
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote