Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 29-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
becciwales
Adult

Default Hi all! It's been a while!

Hi all,

Sorry it's been a while since I've been on!

Quick question please:
At what age do you think I'll need to separate my pair of Hermanns? I have 2 pairs and a single. Galileo I think is a boy but is way too small to tell for definite and needs to be on his own, he didn't do well with the other 2. Darwin and Archimedes appear to be female but I think my other pair, Einstein and Faraday, are a male and a female. They're almost 2, at present there are no signs of aggression or sexual behaviour. Thank you xx

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Hi Becci!
When Oscar, Oliver and Hugo were about 2 and a half they started mounting each other. The squeaks drove me mad!
Then the ramming started and it was then we made the 3 tier table and they were separated.
I think once you think Einstein and Faraday are displaying aggression or sexual behaviour it'll be time to split them. You don't want to get to the point when the female is feeling stressed by being pestered.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #3
becciwales
Adult

No definitely not. Maybe it's time to get another table!

Thank you xx

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

hello becci, how are you doing ? yes I would try and separate if can, I don't think it gets any better and they will probably be grateful to you also as nice little peaceful life. If you have the room a grow bag table is ideal...I x grow bag tray £6.55 and four bits of wood B& Q - they will cut them for you I think also and screwed together place on grow bag tray and bobs you uncle - 5 ft table all under £20! and hygienic. good luck CB
Old 31-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by becciwales View Post
Hi all,

Sorry it's been a while since I've been on!

Quick question please:
At what age do you think I'll need to separate my pair of Hermanns? I have 2 pairs and a single. Galileo I think is a boy but is way too small to tell for definite and needs to be on his own, he didn't do well with the other 2. Darwin and Archimedes appear to be female but I think my other pair, Einstein and Faraday, are a male and a female. They're almost 2, at present there are no signs of aggression or sexual behaviour. Thank you xx

Is their any reason why you don't put the two you think are female, in with the male and female?
As their would be less stress for the one female already in with a male. As the more females to one male is far better, than one female to one male:0)
Then also less enclosures:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote