Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 18-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #11
pagan queen
Adult

I have found that my spur thighs love the parrot pellets. They smell really fruity and the torts scoff them down. I wouldn't feed them all the time though as they are as, if not more, expensive than tort pellets. I have however recommended them to 2 people on here, via PM as I thought I might get jumped on, who's torts had not been eating for quite some time and were going to be fitted with tubes. Both used them and their tort started eating again. I wish I could remember who it was. If you are reading this please let me know.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
I have feed rabbit pellets (half of their diet) early on in my tortoise keeping (was before most if not all tortoise pellets got on the market). Had okay results using them, tropical tortoises did best using them and Meds. were up and down. Spur-thighs did well, Marginateds okay and Hermanns not well at all.
As a supplement during the winter they should work just fine and can add quite a bit of fiber to the diet. Shop around and find a pellet that has the least protein (mine was either 12% or 14%).

Danny
That's interesting, Danny. And my friend is doing it with her Hermanns, and from the look of them it seems to be working for her.

Quote:
I soaked the pellets first so they were broken down and added some lettuces to that. Mixed it up and fed it to the tortoises. I never had anyone refuse the mixture. I can only think it was the protein content and at the time I was feeding carrots (oxalic acid) that combined to have them not grow well.
What do you mean not grow well? Were getting bumpy? Or not growing (size-wise) and not putting on weight? My friend has a weird habit of bathing her tortoises very frequently, so if you are right and in your case it went wrong because of too much protein, could the frequent bathing/drinking be fixing that problem?
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #13
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
I have found that my spur thighs love the parrot pellets. They smell really fruity and the torts scoff them down. I wouldn't feed them all the time though as they are as, if not more, expensive than tort pellets. I have however recommended them to 2 people on here, via PM as I thought I might get jumped on, who's torts had not been eating for quite some time and were going to be fitted with tubes. Both used them and their tort started eating again. I wish I could remember who it was. If you are reading this please let me know.
I tried the parrot pellets when my Goldie stopped eating. She had eventually tube inserted and was very, very ill. She went down to some 24 grams! She pulled the feeding tube out and there was not much hope for her. Then you sent me PM advising me to try the pellets and she started eating. I also started nebulising at that time, so not sure if the nice fruity smelling pellets did it for her or if it was that the nebuliser cleaned her nose and she could smell the food and became tempted, but I am glad I tried it. I had nothing to loose and it seems that it worked.
Old 19-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #14
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Not growing well as in MBD, so not really pyramided (which isn't always a sign of MBD) but by being flatter and not domed like they should be. They were also only growing between the coastal scutes and marginal scutes so were very round in appearance.
It's possible the extra soaking could be helping, but not sure how. I'm sure to her diet with the pellets isn't likely to be the same as mine.

Danny
Old 19-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #15
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Not growing well as in MBD, so not really pyramided (which isn't always a sign of MBD) but by being flatter and not domed like they should be. They were also only growing between the coastal scutes and marginal scutes so were very round in appearance.
It's possible the extra soaking could be helping, but not sure how. I'm sure to her diet with the pellets isn't likely to be the same as mine.

Danny
Or maybe she is also doing something I don't know about. It is a bit awkward to ask too many questions about her care for her torts...
Old 19-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #16
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanako View Post
I tried the parrot pellets when my Goldie stopped eating. She had eventually tube inserted and was very, very ill. She went down to some 24 grams! She pulled the feeding tube out and there was not much hope for her. Then you sent me PM advising me to try the pellets and she started eating. I also started nebulising at that time, so not sure if the nice fruity smelling pellets did it for her or if it was that the nebuliser cleaned her nose and she could smell the food and became tempted, but I am glad I tried it. I had nothing to loose and it seems that it worked.
oh, it was you? Sorry I forgot who it was. So glad it helped, there was someone else it helped too. I discovered it because it when one of mine was being a bit fussy, he couldn't resist the parrot pellets though.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #17
Homerlovesme
Incubating

A couple of times I've offered Fast Fibre from Allen & Page (sorry don't yet know how to do a link)
We use it a lot for old donkeys with few - or no - teeth. I think there are many similarities between donkeys and torts in terms of nutritional needs.
But when soaked the Fast Fibre resembles greenish mush and my torts were not enthusiastic! But in terms of fibre content & low protein I think this should be ok to feed as a supplement when weeds are scarce.

Lots of donkeys - but always room for more
A small herd of ancient ponies
A growing creep of torts
A pack of pesky dogs
Some lazy cats
More hens, ducks & geese than you can shake a stick at
And one pot bellied pig
Homerlovesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 11:35 PM   #18
burnt toast
Adult

Popped into a new pets at home pet store today, near me & spotted this stuff:
http://www.supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/
( the rabbit version)

It looked very fibrous & it got me thinking about this post. It looked less manufactured than the other versions.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 11:43 PM   #19
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Did you check the protein content Lynn? It does look good, I'd just be worried about the protein % with whats in it.

Danny
Old 01-04-2014, 12:25 AM   #20
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Did you check the protein content Lynn? It does look good, I'd just be worried about the protein % with whats in it.

Danny
Yes it was 14% crude protein/30% crude fibre (through squinted eyes even with glasses on .. I must of been getting some funny looks holding big box to my face!)
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote