Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 08-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwamman View Post
you also need to send the barr code that will come with the chip.
Thank you. I didn't think of that!

Anything else I forgot that I will have to send them?
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
Suze65
Adult

Down load the form and print, fill it in with details of the tortoise , do a copy of the chipping certificate , send to defra ( Animal Health ) the form you have filled in , the copy of the chip cert, and the old A10 cert, and of course your cheque.
That's all you need to do, but if you are still not sure ring defra, they are very helpful and will tell you what to do.

If you haven't had him chipped yet , then do that first.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
Hanako
Hatchling

I have another question regarding this paperwork. I have sent off the paperwork for mum and dad and hopefully I will get the certificates soon. I am just curious, do I have to apply now (perhaps within this year) for Transaction certificates for the babies and then when they are old enough have them chipped, and apply for Specimen Specific certificates? Or can I just save the money (not bother with the Transaction certificates) for now and apply in five years time straight for the Specimen Specific certificate (after they are old enough to be chipped)? Considering that I don't plan to sell the babies, I don't really need the certificate now, so it seems to me a waste of money to pay for one certificate, then they will grow, and I have to pay again for another certificate. But then again if I don't apply now, in five years they may not believe me that these tortoises were born five years ago. Should I report to them that these tortoises were born, I have them but don't want the certificate as yet? How does it work?
Old 21-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #14
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
I'm not sure if they would even issue certificates for the hatchlings that have hatched before the parents have the correct paperwork in place... If I were you I would try it sooner rather than later you will need the transaction certificate to get the specimen specific certificate later on anyway.
But the parents had paperwork; they had the Transaction certificates, but I did not bother to get the specimen specific certificate for them because I didn't want them to be chipped. They seemed still so small and chipping sounds so painful... I didn't plan to breed so for me that was not an issue. The issue was suddenly created because they mated and here we have the outcome! So it is not like if the parents were illegal; they were just not up-to-date.
Old 21-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Hi! As I understand it, once the paperwork for Mum & Dad comes back, with their chip number recorded, you can then apply for a Transaction Certificate for the hatchlings if under 60mm. This allows them to be "used commercially i.e. sold) If you are not in a hurry to sell, you could wait until the hatchlings are chipped, then apply for a SSC. Whichever you do, you will need to quote Mum & Dads chip number as parents From AHVLA -

You do not need a certificate from us to possess an Annex A CITES specimen or to give it away.
You only need a certificate if Annex A specimens are to be used for commercial purposes.
Use for commercial purposes includes: the purchase, offering to purchase, acquisition for commercial purposes, display to the public for commercial purposes, use for commercial gain and sale, keeping for sale, offering for sale and transporting for sale.
You will also need certificates if you are breeding from Annex A specimens to sell offspring, even if you do not plan to sell the parents. The parents will have to be permanently and uniquely marked (see paragraphs 11 and 12).

http://www.defra.gov.uk/ahvla-en/files/cites-gn2.pdf

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #16
mark r
Hatched

yes as stated above.

DEFRA will not issue article 10 certificates for any hatchlings untill both parents are microchipped and registered in the breeders name.

once this is done you can then apply for article 10 certs for the babys as you need to state the parents details on the form ie: chip and cert numbers of parents.

there no way around it.
mark r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #17
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelylayla View Post
Hi! As I understand it, once the paperwork for Mum & Dad comes back, with their chip number recorded, you can then apply for a Transaction Certificate for the hatchlings if under 60mm. This allows them to be "used commercially i.e. sold) If you are not in a hurry to sell, you could wait until the hatchlings are chipped, then apply for a SSC. Whichever you do, you will need to quote Mum & Dads chip number as parents
That's what I understood. I was just wondering - If I don't intend to sell, I don't need to apply for the Transaction certificate yet. So I am just curious if it is possible to straight apply for the SSC later on when they are chipped, or if I will later have to apply for Transaction certificate and only after I have the TC I will be able to apply for SSC (even if they will be already chipped). How will I later prove when they were born? I mean, then everyone who has at least one breeding pair could get later on paperwork on any tortoise at all, claiming that 5-10 years ago this tortoise was a baby from those parents... So I am wondering whether I should report to them that I have these baby tortoises, their parents certificates numbers, but that I don't want the paperwork yet and that I will apply later for SSC when they are big enough to be chipped.
Old 21-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #18
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark r View Post
yes as stated above.

DEFRA will not issue article 10 certificates for any hatchlings untill both parents are microchipped and registered in the breeders name.

once this is done you can then apply for article 10 certs for the babys as you need to state the parents details on the form ie: chip and cert numbers of parents.

there no way around it.
That bit is clear to me. I am not sure whether one needs to have TC to be able later on to apply for SSC, or whether one can wait until babies are old enough, have them chipped and then apply straight for the SSC let's say in 5 years time. (Maybe slightly earlier, but I don't really want to have a very small tortoise chipped)