Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 14-07-2015, 12:40 AM   #1
Hanako
Hatchling

Default Weak neck muscles at baby tortoise

One of my one week old babies seem to have some possibly health problem. It looks like if it is too weak to hold his/her head up. It constantly walks around with head nearly touching ground. When I gave her bath, it managed to keep head up for a short time but then the head dropped again ( and no, it definitely wasn't drinking. It nearly drowned, even though the water was really shallow).

Has anyone ever had tortoise hatched with this problem? What is her likely prognoses? Does she have a chance to strengthen the muscles or is it likely she won't survive?
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanako View Post
One of my one week old babies seem to have some possibly health problem. It looks like if it is too weak to hold his/her head up. It constantly walks around with head nearly touching ground. When I gave her bath, it managed to keep head up for a short time but then the head dropped again ( and no, it definitely wasn't drinking. It nearly drowned, even though the water was really shallow).

Has anyone ever had tortoise hatched with this problem? What is her likely prognoses? Does she have a chance to strengthen the muscles or is it likely she won't survive?
Was this hatchling just drinking?
As they can hold their heads under water for a frightening amount of time, even for me:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #3
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Was this hatchling just drinking?
As they can hold their heads under water for a frightening amount of time, even for me:0)
No, it definitely wasn't just drinking. I fished it out half drowned. I assumed that no tortoise would drown on purpose and the water really wasn't that deep. The others did not have any problem in that water, but this one obviously did. That's when I realised that this one really has a problem with the head not being held up.
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
wigwamman
Juvenile

in the wild nature would take its course,as your tortoise has someone to look after it i would say it has a far better chance of survival.lots of tlc and you may see an improvement,best of luck.
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote