Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 24-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #11
becciwales
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Probably none of us that keep tortoises can claim to be comlpetely free of any connection to wild caught animals.

For me it is relevant that the main threat to most species is habitat loss. And habitat loss is still going on here in Europe despite the knowledge that exists and the relative wealth in this part of the world.
Well quite, they had to come from somewhere, even if it is many generations ago, they wouldn't have just appeared out of nowhere

Everything is slowly losing it's habitat, it's so sad really.

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #12
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Robertson View Post
Hanako, you should contact DEFRA and ask them, I've heard stories of people struggling to get papers for tortoises that don't have them, if this were the case then anyone that has a tortoise with no papers could just say they were going to use them to breed?????
I don't think this is true, but let me know of I am wrong?
Andy
Andy, I don't really need to know it. I was just curious because that's what someone on a facebook forum claimed and I thought it sounds a bit dodgy, so I thought I would ask here if it is true. I have also read stories of people struggling to get papers and suddenly I read something else...
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #13
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
How do you think some of the FARMS started?
It makes you wonder doesn't it:0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becciwales View Post
How do you think torts came to be in captivity in the 1st place??
Sure, but I thought that the farms started ages ago, brfore the paperwork even existed. The same about the tortoises coming to captivity - prior to the paperwork. That's why I thought the paperwork is in place, so that it doesn't happen any more.
Old 24-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
mark r
Hatched

it would be nice to see a total ban on imports now, we have enough numbers in each species that gives us a massive gene pool so with sensible breeding inbreeding could be avoided.
mark r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark r View Post
it would be nice to see a total ban on imports now, we have enough numbers in each species that gives us a massive gene pool so with sensible breeding inbreeding could be avoided.
I don't mind import. In my view it doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing to be able to buy a tortoise abroad. I would rather ban catching and enslaving more tortoises. (it probably is banned, but if it is true that their offsprings are legal, it is not very discouraging for those who still do it.)
Old 24-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #16
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

There is one species that is always expanding its habitat at the expense of others and this species has become a terrible pest. In regard to habitat loss I don't think there is any excuse for this in Europe which could easily afford to set land aside for wildlife but people are more interested in making money.