Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 06-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
fantapants
Hatchling

Send a message via AIM to fantapants Send a message via MSN to fantapants Send a message via Yahoo to fantapants
Default loose scutes on burnt leopard

as i was bathing my biggest girl today i noticed that some new growth has loosened alot of her old scutes. for those that dont know she was in a fire years ago and her shell recived pretty nasty damage. she has fully healed and the new bone and shell tissue is forming under her old scutes but as she grows they work loose in places. i am not worried about it, she has lost bits in the past but the ones she has left seem to be attached at the edges but lose in the middle ( If that makes sense) and i know just by touching them and the noise they make that they are due to come off. so what should i do ? will they work loose them selves or should i be worrying about moisture and germs getting in and causing shellrot?

and just because i love her, here is a picture of her.
fantapants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

If you can remove any loose bits, without any more damage then do so. Bathe all areas in diluted betadine or the like. This will help stop bacteria setting in.
Or get a vet to remove the old bits.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:43 AM   #3
Paulg1
Adult

I agree with sandy, just don't be pulling anything that is still stuck good. If you can work some betadine underneith that would be good in the meantime until they loosen enough to be removed.

"Stop the world, I want to get off!"
Paulg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
sky
Adult

When you've bathed her could you not try a cool setting on the hairdyer at least you no she will be dry in the crack's. Could be worth a try.
1 grumpy husband
sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
fantapants
Hatchling

Send a message via AIM to fantapants Send a message via MSN to fantapants Send a message via Yahoo to fantapants

cheers for the advice people. as she is indoors at the moment she isnt exposed to rain or the hosepipe so i am not too worried about getting alot of moisture under the loose scutes. but i reckon i shall book her in for an appointment at the vets to get her checked over. its been a while since she was seen anyway so it cant do any harm.
Old 15-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
EJ
Adult

DO NOT remove any loose scutes or bone. There is a reason it is still attached. The old material is protecting the new growth. Just let it fall off on it's own or you could damage the new growth by exposing it before it is fully developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantapants View Post
as i was bathing my biggest girl today i noticed that some new growth has loosened alot of her old scutes. for those that dont know she was in a fire years ago and her shell recived pretty nasty damage. she has fully healed and the new bone and shell tissue is forming under her old scutes but as she grows they work loose in places. i am not worried about it, she has lost bits in the past but the ones she has left seem to be attached at the edges but lose in the middle ( If that makes sense) and i know just by touching them and the noise they make that they are due to come off. so what should i do ? will they work loose them selves or should i be worrying about moisture and germs getting in and causing shellrot?

and just because i love her, here is a picture of her.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote