Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 27-10-2015, 10:21 PM   #21
vikki
Hatched

I do fridge mine when I find good ones out on walks but have never tried freezing wonder if this would work for some/most and which ones?
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 11:58 PM   #22
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I think most of them turn to mush when they are thawed out but I've not tried the freezing method.
Old 28-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #23
CherryBrandy
Adult

no I haven't either. It think from reading years ago it may be down to too much moisture if they turn out mushy, but not sure. I suppose its pick - (maybe dry out! a little?) and then freeze? apparently plastic bags are better than a tub. I suppose if they don't turn mush you could then defrost and dry out for dry food!
We need a bake off type comparison! I may give it a go this weekend. Still got to try and do the sausage meat tortoises ! CB
Old 28-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #24
vikki
Hatched

Have just "cooked "my 1st batch of weeds - put them in the oven on the lowest temperature for about an hour and they look pretty good, I cut them up fairly well first as my two are small and I have tried the burgess rabbit one (mentioned previously)but it does have a lot of big stalks that even when cut up they struggle with so this looks a lot better - I am having trouble downloading piccies onto the laptop but will give it a go later. I will have to pull up all the lavetera before long so if they like this and it seems to work I will be able to dry out a lot of it rather than waste it
Old 28-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #25
Stellanne
Hatchling

Freezing does turn the weeds to mush. I have tried 'vacuuming packing' weeds to use when scarce....like sow thistle which only seems to have a short season where I can find them. The trouble is they can only stay this way for a few weeks.
I would think that if you think in advance and dry weeds during the summer that would work. I always leave some old weeds drying in Tort Lodge Gardens and the torts do tend to nibble on them x x x hugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 07:59 PM   #26
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki View Post
Have just "cooked "my 1st batch of weeds - put them in the oven on the lowest temperature for about an hour and they look pretty good, I cut them up fairly well first as my two are small and I have tried the burgess rabbit one (mentioned previously)but it does have a lot of big stalks that even when cut up they struggle with so this looks a lot better - I am having trouble downloading piccies onto the laptop but will give it a go later. I will have to pull up all the lavetera before long so if they like this and it seems to work I will be able to dry out a lot of it rather than waste it
do daisy and herbie eat lavetera leaves? they seem really thick. (the leaves !!!). I ask because Daisy and Herbie are similar age and weight to Elenor and nearly Franklyn and they turn their noses up but maybe they are too tough (the leaves !!!). CB
Old 28-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #27
vikki
Hatched

Hi - yes they enjoy the leaves and flowers - haven't really found them tough they seem to rip up very easily
Old 29-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #28
vikki
Hatched

Here is a photo of the results of my first batch - haven't tried feeding it yet as I was working today and want time to monitor their reaction so will let you know. It does look quite pretty now that it is in one of those nice coffee jars with the seal on the lid!!

Old 29-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #29
CherryBrandy
Adult

wow that's quite beautiful isn't it. you should show them not eat them ! CB
Old 29-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #30
vikki
Hatched

Thank you - this one is a mixture of clover, plantain, dandelion, milk thistle, sow thistle, laveratera and cosmos
Jonathan was definitely right about ending up with far less bulk - I started off with quite a big bowl full and now have half a coffee jar so will need to be careful on how much I feed.