Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 25-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
SeeShell
Adult

Could anyone give me some info on incubating bell's hingeback eggs? Specifically incubation temp, humidity and duration.
Thanks
Old 25-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #12
EJ
Adult

28-32C Roughly 120 days to hatch. 70 to 80% humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeShell View Post
Could anyone give me some info on incubating bell's hingeback eggs? Specifically incubation temp, humidity and duration.
Thanks
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
EJ
Adult

Used to be a subspecies of belliana... but you know how that goes.

Because of the upgrade they are now allowed to be imported into the states where as in the past as a subspecies it was not allowed to be imported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeShell View Post
Thanks guys; that's great. What about specki (or something similar!) or am I just imagining this?
and
Old 25-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
EJ
Adult

Another thing I will never understand is how they can base a species on the river system it is found in yet many are indistinguishable for the most part or are called hybrids.

The 10,000,000 question... how long does a population have to be isolated before it becomes a species if it becomes a seperate species at all? Throw that bone into a late night gathering of taxonomists and see what happens. Then there is always... Define a species...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
Taxonomists, like economists, have differing opinions. Only today, there is a very interesting story from Germany about the genetic make up of Chinese Soft shell turtles. It seems, that this highly exploited group which are being farmed in South east Asia, in almost unimaginable numbers, seem now to be not one species but a whole group of different races, sub species and maybe even full species?
Surprise? No not really. if you consider the number of river systems on the Chinese mainland, some of which Havel been geographically isolated for Centuries, if not millennia. These are the ingredients for creating different species. How is it, that north America, can have such species diversity yet China currently recognises so few?
and
Old 25-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #15
SeeShell
Adult

EJ - thanks for that info on incubating
Old 25-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #16
judith ann
Hatched

Wow . We definately bow down to your superior knowledge Judyx
0.1.0.Freisian Mare.Trijntsje
2.0.0.Budgies.Oliver and Magic
2.0.0.Russian Dwarf Hamsters.Morgan and Toby.
0.1.0.Teenage Ggrandaughter.
1.0.0.Long Suffering Husband.
0.1.0.Sulcata Fluffy
1.4.0.Children
2.6.0.Grandchildren
judith ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #17
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Another thing I will never understand is how they can base a species on the river system it is found in yet many are indistinguishable for the most part or are called hybrids.

The 10,000,000 question... how long does a population have to be isolated before it becomes a species if it becomes a seperate species at all? Throw that bone into a late night gathering of taxonomists and see what happens. Then there is always... Define a species...
Ed, back in the early 1990's, I had the pleasure of visiting Dr Bill Mc Cord and his family in New York. His amazing collction of aquatic Chelonia, which at the time numbered several thousand live specimens included a number of species which were "new to science". Working at the time with the great Australian herpetologist, John Cann, Bill, had several specimens of Australian snake neck turtles, which were yet to be formally described. though all of them looked morphologically very similar,each was from distinct river systems, which had been isolated for several millennia. As such, it ws considered that the genetic make up would show distinct criteria for new species. if river systems, are isolated and geographically distinct, the case for new species is quite persuasive.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #18
EJ
Adult

Did the genetics confirm they were seperate species? Bill was also involvend with the cuora mess also... no?

The California Mountain Kingsnake was thought to be I don't know how many different subspecies based on the mountain range they came from... DNA recently showed that they are the same species... I don' know if that's been accepted or not but it shows you how messed up things are.

Now add to this all the captive Testudo... I can't help but giggle when a keeper IDs a Testudo to the subspecies level with any certainty.

Quote:
Ed, back in the early 1990's, I had the pleasure of visiting Dr Bill Mc Cord and his family in New York. His amazing collction of aquatic Chelonia, which at the time numbered several thousand live specimens included a number of species which were "new to science". Working at the time with the great Australian herpetologist, John Cann, Bill, had several specimens of Australian snake neck turtles, which were yet to be formally described. though all of them looked morphologically very similar,each was from distinct river systems, which had been isolated for several millennia. As such, it ws considered that the genetic make up would show distinct criteria for new species. if river systems, are isolated and geographically distinct, the case for new species is quite persuasive.
and
Old 25-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #19
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Did the genetics confirm they were seperate species? Bill was also involvend with the cuora mess also... no?

The California Mountain Kingsnake was thought to be I don't know how many different subspecies based on the mountain range they came from... DNA recently showed that they are the same species... I don' know if that's been accepted or not but it shows you how messed up things are.

Now add to this all the captive Testudo... I can't help but giggle when a keeper IDs a Testudo to the subspecies level with any certainty.
I saw Dr Mc Cord again, only last year at an international symposium, and I guess you might
say he continues to add the the "mess", that is taxonomy!

By the way, the genetics did confirm that some of these specimens were indeed new species to science: Why should this be important? The case for specific habitat protection, which surely is the most serious threat to most wild species goes up very measurably, if an isolated species is discovered to be new to science.

However, to get back to the original pointnof this thread. How many species of Kinixys belliana do you consider to be valid?

Last edited by Geomyda; 26-09-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 23-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #20
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
I saw Dr Mc Cord again, only last year at an international symposium, and I guess you might
say he continues to add the the "mess", that is taxonomy!

By the way, the genetics did confirm that some of these specimens were indeed new species to science: Why should this be important? The case for specific habitat protection, which surely is the most serious threat to most wild species goes up very measurably, if an isolated species is discovered to be new to science.

However, to get back to the original pointnof this thread. How many species of Kinixys belliana do you consider to be valid?
Sorry Ed,
my last post should of course have said "How many sub species of Kinixys belliana do you consider to be valid"?