Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 12-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Wolflore
Egg

Default My plan for NOT hibernating

Hi folks,

I put this directly to another member but have yet to hear back so I thought I'd open it up to debate with the whole forum.

So, I'm not going to hibernate. I've done my research and come to my own conclusions. Here's what I plan to do and where.

Spike lives mostly in/on a tortoise table. The substrate is a sand/topsoil mix. The room where he lives is not centrally heated. Nor is the rest of the flat. During the winter we have a couple of low wattage heaters running constantly so that the temps in the flat never drop too low. We also have a gas fire in the sitting room which ups ambient temps throughout the flat a little when we're in. The tort table is about 5' x 4' with quite high sides which seems to hold the heat well. Basking temp is currently kept around the 35c mark from 6am to 7pm. Then the heat/light is turned off and ambient temps take over for the night. Recent research (mine) has turned up the fact torts often can have night time temperature drops of up to 20c in their native ranges. Heating during the day is provided by a Solar Glo 125w. Temps around the table range from 35 at basking, 25-27 near to, and furthest points being around 21-22. I'm going to buy a max/min thermometer to keep an eye on night time temps. Feeding is not being reduced. I'm allowing him to decide how much he wants to eat. If night time, or even daytime temps are low at the moment he tends to dig in, but currently he's sleeping in his normal 'road kill' pose behind the spider plant. Sometimes he seems to want a bit of extra warmth so will bed down under his hide which is nearer to the basking spot - he still goes road kill though. So my plan is to let him do his own thing. I did contemplate dropping the basking spot temp down to 30c but I'm unsure on this one. My reasoning was that winter max daytime temps would be lower than summer. But then I also think that I should leave it at 35c to combat the lower nightime temps. I figure he can move himself - as he does now - to find his best spots over the winter. Food would still be provided, but I did have thoughts that I should maybe suspend/reduce feeding over the deepest darkest months of winter as he probably wouldn't be out much anyway. Then the other half of me thinks to just keep offering him food and let him decide that to. Metabolic rates would be kept up due to the availability of his basking spot. What do folks think? Do you have any experience either way?

anthony
Wolflore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
Lolly8
Adult

Sounds ok.I don't hibernate either.I'll make sure that warmth stays stable in his enclosure,lights are on longer (13-14 hours).At night time he has room temperature only (it won't go below +17 usually),no additional heating.I keep feeding,maybe a bit less amount than in summer time.And he has baths basically every day because he loves it!
Old 12-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #3
Wolflore
Egg

That's interesting about the heating, I was thinking I'd reduce the heating/lighting cycle slightly as the winter went on, but increasing to balance out the natural loss of light through the window makes sense too. Then again, should I just leave it as it has been all summer?

anthony
Old 12-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
yuna1971
Adult

I over winter Lily...and I think that you have a good overwintering plan there, Wolflore. I agree with your OH about letting him decide whether he wants to eat as normal or not. Just keep everything as is now. Bathe him every day during the winter, and keep the warmth up and you will find things work out fine.
Another thing I do - and did last winter - is contain the room from draughts. So put something by the door. Keep doors closed and put a mat or one of those draught thingys (sausage dog thing) against say the front door.
I also had my gas CH come on at what I considered to be the coldest time of the night. Each to his own with this - but I had mine come on at around 3.30am - and go off at 5.30am/6am. So yes, it was a bit whopping on the Gas CH bill but this as well as keeping the drafts down as much as poss - really worked well for me and Lily.
He did have a slight slowdown, come the end of Jan/beginning of Feb but hell, he was still active when SNOW was on the ground. So I forgave him for a bit of a slowdown
Weeds are about in winter but yes, they are scarce, not much choice. But remember winter flowers might be an option. I managed to find - dead nettle, jack by the hedge, dandylion, a wee bit of plantain. I have bought some grass pellets to try this winter. You can also mix in a bit of pak choi (aka BOK choi ) and a bit of dried grass (like normal readi grass). So again, meals can be made. He can pick at it if he wants, not each much....or find next day he munches like normal.
But you got a great plan of attack there. You seem very confident and decisive too. And thats great to see. Well done Wolflore. xxxx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
yuna1971
Adult

Yeah Lolly, I found that the temps in Lilys room I could get up to mid 20s and first thing in the morning it was about 18/19degrees. But I think it helps with UPVC windows and if you can contain the heat in the room from draughts. I would sit in Lilys room in the peak of winter last year in my t-shirt, it was great!! xxx
I did have to air lift Lily a few times, I will admit. But he was awake....he was not asleep. I tried to keep everything as normal a routine as possible. And it was only the odd day where he didnt emerge from his hide. xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
Lolly8
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolflore View Post
That's interesting about the heating, I was thinking I'd reduce the heating/lighting cycle slightly as the winter went on, but increasing to balance out the natural loss of light through the window makes sense too. Then again, should I just leave it as it has been all summer?
I leave hot spot as it always been,+31-+32,no changes,I'll keep on eye on cool side that it doesn't go below +20.I've found that these temps are what keep my tort going at winter time.And I keep lights on longer than other time (usually 11-12 hours,winter time 13-14 hours). You can increase warmth of course if you find that he slows down and is not as active.When room temperature drops then you may need increase warmth in his enclosure.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
Wolflore
Egg

A good way of reducing your heating bills is to have the heating on 24 hrs but at a lower temp - say 16c - this way you don't get the massive peaks and troughs in use as the boiler is trying to work really hard to warm a now cold house.

Do either of you use additional heating to keep the temps up when required - like a heat lamp? Or do you just rely on the central heating? Do you cover the table at all?

I just wanted to say a big thanks to Mr Pirog. He has been a shining light during my research. I didn't always follow the light, but it sure does help to see better

I'm glad I'm not a million miles off the mark with this one, thanks folks.

anthony
Old 12-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
Lolly8
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolflore View Post
A good way of reducing your heating bills is to have the heating on 24 hrs but at a lower temp - say 16c - this way you don't get the massive peaks and troughs in use as the boiler is trying to work really hard to warm a now cold house.
That's exactly what I do-I keep house heating on 24 hrs at about +20.( Not yet but I guess soon.)House is nice and warm and it's cheaper this way as well.And it keeps temps in tort enclosure more stable at winter.
I don't keep additional heat lamp but I put my existing one lower to basking spot (if that makes sense.)when heat need increased.

Ed has helped me as well to get things work and it has worked for my tort perfectly.He knows his stuff and I've learned a lot from him.
Old 13-09-2010, 12:00 AM   #9
yuna1971
Adult

Hmmm interesting about the heating. I am not sure though as my thermostat seems to have a temp where it sort of clicks in. Does that make sense? So if any lower...it doesnt seem to come on. But you get to about 21d and you hear this click and then it does come on.....
Am i talking gibberish or do you know what I mean with this??

Lily's Movie.
Old 13-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #10
Lolly8
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
Hmmm interesting about the heating. I am not sure though as my thermostat seems to have a temp where it sort of clicks in. Does that make sense? So if any lower...it doesnt seem to come on. But you get to about 21d and you hear this click and then it does come on.....
Am i talking gibberish or do you know what I mean with this??
Hmmm...sorry,I'm lost. Do you mean "lower" temperature? Because I meant "lower" the lamp. ???

Tags
hibernation, russian