Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 17-05-2021, 08:41 AM   #1
Gordon
Adult

Default Mary's lockdown project.

Well these are a few from Mary's new home which I'm quite envious of.
I should of put the title as Mike and ian's lockdown project.
I will leave it to Mary to talk you through all they have been up too.

upload image

Last edited by Gordon; 17-05-2021 at 08:59 AM.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 10:14 AM   #2
tortydat
Sub Adult

Not sure where to start really but thank you to Gordon for putting up some pictures from obviously different times of the year. As Gordon says I have to thank Mike and especially our son Ian for all their hard work as not a lot of work had been done here for quite some time. On moving twice within a year or so I had to re-home some of my tortoises including all my young Hermanns and my five Marginateds which was hard. We have taken some time deciding the best way to house my smaller ones and with all the large trees around and very large birds we thought a fruit cage was the best way to go and the coldframes are quite successful as well. They get the sun most of the day and are secure as well. The Browns seem to like their new abode and we went for a very substantial shed as in the past they have over wintered in the garage which isn't possible now. Fortunately the swan didn't stay too long and the water went down quickly and despite Gordon's best efforts we won't be having either donkeys, geese or alpacas! Obviously this is a work in progress and something entirely different to what we were supposed to be getting ie a bungalow with a smaller garden but the situation is lovely and we are very lucky to be here.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 10:17 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
Not sure where to start really but thank you to Gordon for putting up some pictures from obviously different times of the year. As Gordon says I have to thank Mike and especially our son Ian for all their hard work as not a lot of work had been done here for quite some time. On moving twice within a year or so I had to re-home some of my tortoises including all my young Hermanns and my five Marginateds which was hard. We have taken some time deciding the best way to house my smaller ones and with all the large trees around and very large birds we thought a fruit cage was the best way to go and the coldframes are quite successful as well. They get the sun most of the day and are secure as well. The Browns seem to like their new abode and we went for a very substantial shed as in the past they have over wintered in the garage which isn't possible now. Fortunately the swan didn't stay too long and the water went down quickly and despite Gordon's best efforts we won't be having either donkeys, geese or alpacas! Obviously this is a work in progress and something entirely different to what we were supposed to be getting ie a bungalow with a smaller garden but the situation is lovely and we are very lucky to be here.

Wow Mary this place is a beautiful as your other home:0)
Not sure you have down sized that much:0)
And you still have lots of work to do keeping it looking so good:0)
Enjoy and it will keep you going:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 11:27 AM   #4
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Wow Mary this place is a beautiful as your other home:0)
Not sure you have down sized that much:0)
And you still have lots of work to do keeping it looking so good:0)
Enjoy and it will keep you going:0)
Thanks Sandy we haven't downsized the garden but the house is a lot smaller but there is still a lot of work to be done there as we have concentrated on the outside first! Keeps us out of mischief at least.
Old 17-05-2021, 04:24 PM   #5
Yvonne G
Hatched

My Gosh!!! I am so impressed!!! What a beautiful piece of property. And pictures on the wall of the shed? Geez! This is great. Thank you so much for sharing.
Old 17-05-2021, 04:51 PM   #6
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne G View Post
My Gosh!!! I am so impressed!!! What a beautiful piece of property. And pictures on the wall of the shed? Geez! This is great. Thank you so much for sharing.
Mary's Burmese get a bit spoilt.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 09:54 PM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

Mary, it is beautiful. I’m a bit of a tree lover, so I could see myself sat in the area with the daffs, listening to the stream and reading my book…

I love the idea of using the fruit cage and cold frames; that’s a lovely big area they’re in, and the Browns look very relaxed and happy in their new home.

Maybe donkeys, alpacas and geese are a step too far as it looks as if you’ve got your hands full for the foreseeable with lots of work to do but what an exciting project!
You’ll be sleeping well each night!
I’m really impressed. It is really very lovely and I’m sure a wonderful place for the family to gather.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 11:25 PM   #8
burnt toast
Adult

Looks amazing Mary. I had to laugh at the pictures in the brown's shed... I have pictures and small carved wooden torts on the walls in my octagonal greenhouse!

Your coldframes are great, did you have them made? Such a good idea & safe.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 04:04 PM   #9
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Mary, it is beautiful. I’m a bit of a tree lover, so I could see myself sat in the area with the daffs, listening to the stream and reading my book…

I love the idea of using the fruit cage and cold frames; that’s a lovely big area they’re in, and the Browns look very relaxed and happy in their new home.

Maybe donkeys, alpacas and geese are a step too far as it looks as if you’ve got your hands full for the foreseeable with lots of work to do but what an exciting project!
You’ll be sleeping well each night!
I’m really impressed. It is really very lovely and I’m sure a wonderful place for the family to gather.
Not so good sitting under the trees at the moment but hopefully the weather must warm up soon!

You're right about the sleeping bit as we certainly do that well.
Old 20-05-2021, 04:08 PM   #10
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Looks amazing Mary. I had to laugh at the pictures in the brown's shed... I have pictures and small carved wooden torts on the walls in my octagonal greenhouse!

Your coldframes are great, did you have them made? Such a good idea & safe.
I never thought I would be able to put my tortoise pictures up again so the shed is great but not sure that the Browns appreciate them that much!

The cold frames came from a place called Woodpecker Joinery who are based Stafford way and Mike just cut doors out of the front of them. We bought one from them about ten years ago and it is still going strong and very successful my old Hermanns are using it in a different part of the garden that is more protected and doesn't need extra protection.