Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 26-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
bilboallmighty@
Egg

Default African spurred tortoise! Urgent help needed!

sorry ive tried find the answer but no joy... can anyone help with the below...

Hi All,

i used to have a small collection on bearded dragons (not relevant at all) however me and my wife have now decided to venture into the realm of shells and so i came across this forum.

I must say its extremely exciting however somewhat confusing in regards to housing.

Our baby is just that at around 8 months old and we have a small indoor Viv with UV & heat lamp however im not sure where the probe for the thermostat should live...

Should this be on the heat bulb side or midway between the heated end and the cool end?

Would appreciate any advice!!!

I've tried google but everything contradicts the previous thing i read so now confused, if anyone has a African spurred tortoise i would appreciate your help

thanks
bilboallmighty@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
Poppy470
Egg

Hi there, I have two Tunisian spur thighed torts, very small, I am by no means an expert as I've only had mine for 7 months ish. When I got mine they were in a viv, but after looking at this forum & speaking to people on here, it seems that most views were they would be better in/ on a table...the logic being that when you have an open table they get better air circulation and you can have a hot end and a cooler end..I changed to a table and I have put my thermostat, not directly under the heat lamp but about 2inches back , it's attached to the wood on the same side of the table that the lamp hangs down from, I have the lamps on a habitat dimming thermostat. So I can get the temp. I want under the lamp. This is so that they can have a hot side and then if they want they can walk over to a cooler side of the table. I hope this makes sense and helps.
Poppy470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilboallmighty@ View Post
sorry ive tried find the answer but no joy... can anyone help with the below...

Hi All,

i used to have a small collection on bearded dragons (not relevant at all) however me and my wife have now decided to venture into the realm of shells and so i came across this forum.

I must say its extremely exciting however somewhat confusing in regards to housing.

Our baby is just that at around 8 months old and we have a small indoor Viv with UV & heat lamp however im not sure where the probe for the thermostat should live...

Should this be on the heat bulb side or midway between the heated end and the cool end?

Would appreciate any advice!!!

I've tried google but everything contradicts the previous thing i read so now confused, if anyone has a African spurred tortoise i would appreciate your help

thanks
You really need to know if your tortoise is a Sulcata ( sometimes called African Spurred tortoise) or a graeca graeca which is also sometimes called an african spurred tortoise. Two different species.
One can be small and the other gigantic.
Posting a picture can help us to help you:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
african spurred tortoises, heating, probe, spurred, thermostat