Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 19-08-2016, 08:06 AM   #11
Anyfoot
Incubating

Yep. Sad. There is no way these would ever cross paths in the natural world. We humans just can't leave things alone.
Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #12
CherryBrandy
Adult

Is she more redfoot? I wouldn't of known I think though her head is more sulcata I suppose but it would never dawn on me she is a cross. Yes why do we interfere with nature. (although surfing parks are an exception). CB (edited took out 'dont' think her head is more sulcata , meant it does look more sulcata!).

Last edited by CherryBrandy; 19-08-2016 at 11:57 AM.
CherryBrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #13
Anyfoot
Incubating

To me it looks like the the forehead and limbs are more sulcata, the carapace looks redfoot. I saw a debate on this, some said it was a very unhealthy redfoot. It was definitely confirmed to be a hybrid.
Old 19-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #14
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyfoot View Post
To me it looks like the the forehead and limbs are more sulcata, the carapace looks redfoot. I saw a debate on this, some said it was a very unhealthy redfoot. It was definitely confirmed to be a hybrid.
sorry I did mean her head looks more sulcata ...I edited it! I think I started the sentence with don't you think it looks...then decided it wasn't a question more a statement ! women eh . cant make up their minds!!!)
Hoping that is an extreme and hopefully there wont be too many like him ! - as you say it wouldn't happen in the wild, ... the argument could be I suppose that tortoises swam from one set of islands to others and evolution went on as it does.....but at least that was nature , CB
Old 19-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #15
Anyfoot
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
sorry I did mean her head looks more sulcata ...I edited it! I think I started the sentence with don't you think it looks...then decided it wasn't a question more a statement ! women eh . cant make up their minds!!!)
Hoping that is an extreme and hopefully there wont be too many like him ! - as you say it wouldn't happen in the wild, ... the argument could be I suppose that tortoises swam from one set of islands to others and evolution went on as it does.....but at least that was nature , CB
Yes that's the argument. There's a Caribbean island(forgot name) that has yellow and redfoots that cohabitate together, strangely no hybrids have been found. Probably because the males courtship moves are slightly different, that said there are red x yellow hybrids in captivity. It's said that these reached this island either by swimming or pirates storing them on islands many years ago. Suppose we will never know.
Old 19-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #16
CherryBrandy
Adult

I will ask Johny Depp. I love the book, A sheltered Life, unexpected story of the giant tortoise - paul chambers I think, Id love to meet him. I can read it over and over, CB
Old 20-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #17
Suze65
Adult

How would you care for it, sulcata or red foot?

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 09:07 PM   #18
Anyfoot
Incubating

Good question and I don't know the answer. Reds eat alot of fruit and some animal protein, sulcata don't. I was told that feeding too much fruit to a sulcata can do serious damage to them internally, I suppose a redfoot would survive on a sulcata diet. Not thrive but survive. Maybe treating it like a sulcata is the safest option.