Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 23-11-2015, 11:00 PM   #1
vikki
Hatched

Default Heating and uv costs

Anybody have any idea whether it is cheaper to run a combi bulb or separate heat bulb and uv tube? Just wondering out of interest as I currently use Arcadia 100w d3 combi bulbs but will soon have had one for 12 months (although not in constant use over the summer) so just wondering if I will continue with that or swap - I like the the combi bulb and am happy with it but wondered if anyone knew of roughly what the cost comparisons might be. Also would a uv tube that was the length of the enclosure also provide light to the end away from the heat source - I currently have a small spot lights to provide light the end away from the d3 and wondered if this would still be needed?
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 11:53 PM   #2
markbigears
Incubating

Hi Vikki, 100w combi is the same price to run as a 100w spot. So if you run a sot and say a 3ft tube of 40w, it's going to cost a bit more. As a rough estimate, a 100w bulb on for 10 hours a day will cost you 20p a day. A uv tube will provide light to the whole enclosure, T5 being brighter and emitting more UV than a T8 tube. Hope this helps, Mark

Last edited by markbigears; 23-11-2015 at 11:57 PM.
markbigears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #3
Gordon
Adult

I use tubes and 100w spotlight bulbs as you can use a dimmer with the bulb which cuts the cost and with the tube you light up more area. I have just bought 10 x100w bulbs off amazon for less than £15 delivered.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #4
wigwamman
Juvenile

this subject has the possibility of being a can of worms!
it's possible to use less watts but you have to buy more equipment to do so. any savings on energy is transfered into equipment costs.
if there are any savings to be had it must be spread over a much greater length of time.
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 11:35 PM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I agree with wigwamman. Any differences in running costs look small compared to purchase costs.
BTW Vikki your arc D3s are very likely still good to use.

Just for fun how long does it take for a uv meter to pay for itself by saving the keeper from buying new uv emitting gadgets when the old ones still work despite many hours of use? I find that my T5desert plus tubes give up very very slowly. By lowering them I can get more use out of them. But that is only possible because I've got a uv meter.

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 24-11-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

Don't forget that its important to keep the room warm as well otherwise its hard to keep the heat in the table, my tort room was 20c through the day with only a slight drop at night.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

It is okay to have some darker areas, they don't always want to be in the light. Running costs of lights are not huge. A 100w bulb on for 10 hours a day = 1kw of electric used. At around 15-20 pence per Kw that's only probably a max of £1.40 per week. It doesn't matter if it's heat or light or a TV it's just the number of watts or kilowatts it uses. Some things don't use the full amount of watts, a hoover for example might be 1900w but when in use might only be using 1500w until you start hoovering up some serious crap
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

what's heavier a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks ... always loved that one.
Don't you have to replace tubes more as UV runs low, but combi does seem to maintain UV longer? then to the extreme there is traffic, fuel, shipping, time etc. I suppose it is what is off set against it long run.

What I have noticed which is an absolute joy is heating costs are down cause those D3 Arcadia chuck out some heat, and what I absolutely love is that Im sure im getting good UV on my skin too sitting right next to one !! Pure genius. CB
Old 25-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #9
vikki
Hatched

Thanks everyone - that is all really helpful as I am never any good at the technical stuff
I must admit that I thought it would be costing a lot more than that so pretty pleased with the figures and although the D3's aren't the cheapest to buy I haven't had any problems and Herbie and Daisy seem happy so will continue with those whilst they are indoors
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote