Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 07-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
Eremiel
Hatched

Default A little silly.... sorry

This may sound a little silly but i am a very new owner!

1) After my Tortys have had a bath its very hard to dry them around the neck and leg area (i do try) but they are not perfectly dry. Is this a problem?

2) They now have a tunnle filled with hay in their house area so if they want to get away from each other they can. They spend quite a bit of time in it and im worried they are not getting enoght UVB light now. Should i remove it?
Eremiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
TortBabe
Adult

Hi Eremiel I personally do dry my torts off after a bath, many probably don't, so don't worry about them not being perfectly dry. I would continue to monitior their behaviour in the tunnel and if you feel they are in their too much you could remove it. I hope this helps
Old 07-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eremiel View Post
This may sound a little silly but i am a very new owner!

1) After my Tortys have had a bath its very hard to dry them around the neck and leg area (i do try) but they are not perfectly dry. Is this a problem?

2) They now have a tunnle filled with hay in their house area so if they want to get away from each other they can. They spend quite a bit of time in it and im worried they are not getting enoght UVB light now. Should i remove it?
Is it your Horsfield's that have just had a worm treatment from a vet.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
yuna1971
Adult

What lighting do you have and your temps, basking spot and cool end. Also, age and sex of them. Sorry about all the questions. Hello by the way!

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
yuna1971
Adult

Responding if its a yes to what Paul asked - then they might be a little wiped out for a bit, if they have just been treated, confirm anyone?

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
Eremiel
Hatched

Yes they are being treated for worms for the next 4 Sundays. They have a food supplment too.

I have a long strip light which it 10% UVB i was sold it when picking them up from the store. They have a heat bulb too. The hot end is around 100' most of the day and the cool end it around 25 most the day. Both heat and light are on for 12 hours a day. I feel a little quilty for waking them up and getting them out the nice warm hide area and into the light.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
Eremiel
Hatched

i have put a few photos in an album on my profile if you wanna see them
Old 07-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
Box girl
Sub Adult

They would not get dried after a shower in the wild I do not dry mine.
[QUOTE=Eremiel;455854]This may sound a little silly but i am a very new owner!

[QUOTE]

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
Rae
Hatched

Arent they best on newspaper or something whilst having worm treatment?

I dont dry my torts as such i let them walk around on a towel to dry their underneath and put them back into their enclosure under the heat lamp and they are dry in minutes! x
Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eremiel View Post
Yes they are being treated for worms for the next 4 Sundays. They have a food supplment too.

I have a long strip light which it 10% UVB i was sold it when picking them up from the store. They have a heat bulb too. The hot end is around 100' most of the day and the cool end it around 25 most the day. Both heat and light are on for 12 hours a day. I feel a little quilty for waking them up and getting them out the nice warm hide area and into the light.
regarding the temperatures, what do you mean by 100' and 25. is that 100f and 25c?

temperature should be measured on the ground directly under the bulb either at the height of the tort's shell or just on the ground for convenience. it should be about somewhere between 32c and 35c, that's 90-95f and the cool end should be about 20c, that's 68f. they may be hiding away from the heat. too hot will cause them dehydration

Last edited by Alan1; 08-04-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bath, hay, light, tunnle, water