Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 21-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #1
vikki
Hatched

Default post worming

Hi. I wormed the tortoises 9 days ago as Daisy passed worms shortly after I got her. I dosed them with panacur to correct amount etc. Today Daisy has passed ALOT of worms but they did appear to be dead. Would this be a fairly normal time frame for her to be expelling the worms that have been killed by the panacur? I am going to give another 2 doses (every 2 weeks) as she has obviously had a huge burden. She seems very well in herself is eating well now and has gained a small amount of weight. Does this all sound to be ok? Thanks.
Vikki.
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

It's good that she's passing dead worms and if she's regaining her appetite, the Panacur sounds to be doing the trick.
I worm mine 10 days apart each dose, then give a few Reptoboost or Abidec baths to pick them up a little following completion of the worming treatment. I'm sure it's not necessary but I like to do it.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 09:28 PM   #3
vikki
Hatched

Thanks Emma. Will bring the worming forward a bit then. I got some abidec and gave her a couple of baths already so will perhaps give her a few after each dose. She must of had loads of worms as couldn't believe how many she passed (I was tempted to take a picture but decided that was probably a bit gross!!)
Old 21-06-2015, 09:42 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

It's a good sign that they're dead. Poor love must have been feeling pretty rotten with a high worm load. It's always good to see them regain their appetite isn't it?

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 21-06-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
vikki
Hatched

Yes she is munching well now!! She still isn't keen on being watched though but will give in for a dandelion leaf
Old 21-06-2015, 11:37 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki View Post
Yes she is munching well now!! She still isn't keen on being watched though but will give in for a dandelion leaf
She must be feeling better.

Old 22-06-2015, 07:08 AM   #7
Suze65
Adult

I agree with Emma, it's a good sign that they're coming out, do two more , two weeks apart, as you've said and she will be fine. Panacur can upset the gut flora and cause runny poo, but don't worry about this , it will right it's self, you could soak her in reptoboost as this has a probiotic in it.

Sorry just seen , Emma said 10 days apart, if that's what she does , then do that.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
vikki
Hatched

I weighed Herbie and Daisy today and both have put on about 4-5 grams this week - could this be post worming weight gain? I could understand Daisy as she was definitely full of worms but Herbie was tested not that long ago and was clear but did him to be on safe side. They have both been outside a lot more due to the nice weather so possibly have been grazing and maybe I have just fed a lot!! I know most people say not to worry about fast weight gain but this is a lot more than I have previously known. I also checked temperatures today (I check everything weekly!) and they are higher than normal - cool ends about 22 and high about 34, this is probably due warmer weather and the house being warmer, I keep the soil in their hides damp so this is cooler again by a few degrees - should I raise the lamp is this this ok at the moment and will get them outside as much as possible
Old 28-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #9
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki View Post
I weighed Herbie and Daisy today and both have put on about 4-5 grams this week - could this be post worming weight gain? I could understand Daisy as she was definitely full of worms but Herbie was tested not that long ago and was clear but did him to be on safe side. They have both been outside a lot more due to the nice weather so possibly have been grazing and maybe I have just fed a lot!! I know most people say not to worry about fast weight gain but this is a lot more than I have previously known. I also checked temperatures today (I check everything weekly!) and they are higher than normal - cool ends about 22 and high about 34, this is probably due warmer weather and the house being warmer, I keep the soil in their hides damp so this is cooler again by a few degrees - should I raise the lamp is this this ok at the moment and will get them outside as much as possible
If you weigh to often, you can get a distorted pattern of their weight. As one poo can make a lot of difference. If they are grazing outside, then there is no real reason to give them extra. Grazing is far better for them:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

vikki, sounds like it is going ok. does your panacur say panacur rabbit on it? I didn't know if they come in different tubes? I know they can be prescribed but the ones over the counter? c