Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #61
EJ
Adult

Sorry... that's what a tortoise community is all about...

This equates to... you... a new comer... walking up to a tight group in a bar... nobody knows you... you just jump right in. Now... depending on your attitude... you can be welcomed... or... ignored. I haven't seen you being ignored. You have gotten some good input. You don't seem to realize how controvercial this topic is... the off topic banter... defuses the normal hostile exchange that normally occrurs when this topic is brought up.

Again... you can choose to actually learn about and understand the animals you have chosen to keep... or... you can do as your told by whoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapula View Post
Seems a shame that my thread asking for advice should be hijacked by people posturing, pontificating and by the looks of it flirting, when in fact it is a serious business for me. At the end of the day most of anything anyone knows about these creatures is supposition by the nature of their longevity.
Thanks Sandy and Levi for your valuable input I am controlling the fridge perfectly now with a digital thermostat ..sadly too late for this season.
I am now downsizing my collection of 23 Iberas down to 1 and I am only too glad that I am not a first time poster here.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 10-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #62
scapula
Incubating

Dont agree, and I have learnt about these animals its not the tortoises that are being questioned here... its you!
I notice you gave no advice whatsoever and merely stepped up on your soapbox
Old 10-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #63
EJ
Adult

It was a good discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapula View Post
Dont agree, and I have learnt about these animals its not the tortoises that are being questioned here... its you!
I notice you gave no advice whatsoever and merely stepped up on your soapbox
and
Old 10-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #64
cherylahutch
Adult

Well it was overdue for another debate lol. I think there was plenty of advice and interesting reading.
I don't hibernate mine which if I am being honest is mainly because I read what Ed had to say about it and agreed with him. If tortoise and any other pet was to be kept in there natural environment and as they should be in the wild we are all mistreating them by keeping them as pets. my lovely dog would not be curled up next to me on the sofa quite content and happy in his centrally heated house. My tortoises would not be over wintered and fed pellets to help there diet through the winter. I wouldn't be incubating the eggs I've taken from the nest my tortoise lovingly dug. We are all choosing what we think is right for our pets in a selfish way we have been controlling animals lives since the beginning of existence.
I don't think any one person is right or wrong on the subject and have had some brilliant advice on here, I'm very happy to be a member and do worry that the people who jump ship as soon as there opinions or topics are discussed are losing out. I've had my arguments on here just as many of us have but I've also had some fantastic advice from the same people who have argued with me.
I think the site would not be as good if it weren't for the likes of Ed because if we were all doing the same thing all the time how would we ever learn anything.
I'm going to get off my soapbox now getting a bit light headed up hear lol x
Old 11-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #65
EJ
Adult

...or don't want to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
Agreed...

If you post on a forum... you have to expect a discussion to come out of it... i guess some people will only listen to what they want to hear though.
and
Old 11-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #66
Suze65
Adult

I do agree with Cheryl and Ed. Sometimes these threads do go off course and it can help diffuse a heated debate, and usually gets back on course.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #67
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediterraneansuze View Post
Sauna? I missed that bit!
I ment hot tub lol always turns into a bubbling tub of hot water when the hibernation word is used not sure why
Old 11-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #68
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURNIP View Post
I ment hot tub lol always turns into a bubbling tub of hot water when the hibernation word is used not sure why
That's why I was just trying to diffuse things a little, and it seemed to work, mostly.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #69
Levi
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediterraneansuze View Post
That's why I was just trying to diffuse things a little, and it seemed to work, mostly.
I thought the conversation had already been defused nicely, it only really got heated when Ed's forum bodyguard turned up, I didn't realise he was that fragile !

The OP says they will now DOWNSIZE their collection, makes sense to me if they are going to be an inconvenience over the winter months, due to lack of space etc.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #70
Suze65
Adult

[QUOTE=Levi;626762]I thought the conversation had already been defused nicely, it only really got heated when Ed's forum bodyguard turned up, I didn't realise he was that fragile !

Maybe it had,have I done wrong, hope not

Closed Thread