Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 05-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
Habranthus
Incubating

Default Western Hermanns

I've read many times that Thh are very rare, indeed I know of only one commercial source in the UK in the last five years, nevertheless, it seems there are quite a few people out there who have them. I'm curious, how many people acquired their western Hermanns by accident (discovered what they had after they got their tortoise) and how many managed to source their tortoise from a shop or breeder.
Habranthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
TortBabe
Adult

I got my girl from Gumtree, she was just £80 the previous owner had her in a viv with 3 other Hermanns and claimed they were bullying her, she just wanted rid as she couldn't be bothered with the hassle. I'd always wanted a THH and was delighted when she was ID'd as one, as I'd gave up hope of ever acquiring one. She originally came from a reptile shop in Belfast, who have insisted to me there is no such thing as Dwarf Hermanns
Old 06-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Habranthus
Incubating

Thanks tortbabe! I spent four years (maybe longer actually) looking and then finally gave in and got mine from a shop. That was about a year ago.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
crowking
Egg

Actually there is a genuine western race breeder on the south coast,i purchased a lovely 2 year old female from him a few years ago.
crowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
NATURALIS
Adult

I looked for years but found a breeder in the end , most of mine are in there late teens now ,i breed them each year, but to date i've kept them all .
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Beverley
Adult

I have 2 little cuties. They were brought over from Germany I think.
The owner then due to personal circumstances rehomed them to me
Old 07-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
Habranthus
Incubating

Seems like a mixture of known Western Hermanns breeders and rehoming tortoises that turn out to be hermanni. Makes you wonder how many people out there (not reading forums) have the rarer hermanni and have no clue what they have.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
Habranthus
Incubating

I guess with each female producing only a few eggs per year, it's not as if there are as many available each year compared the eastern Hermanns. I would imagine it's hard to let them go when you've watched them hatch and spent time rearing them, Chris.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Kirkie
Adult

My first two were "second hand". My small ones are UK captive bred. The THH on "that internet site what sells them" are farmed in Turkey. I assume that the ones that occasionally turn up in shops are also supplied by them as they are wholesalers. There are some German privately captive bred THH around.

Last edited by Kirkie; 07-05-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #10
Habranthus
Incubating

I asked quite a lot of questions when I got mine - seems that they have been holding back female hermanni for some years to build up their own herd so that they no longer need to import from Turkey... Guess that explains why there are so many male hermanni around.