Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
lisalass
Hatched

Default whoopee

a jcb has come on to our estate and is digging us out .... at this time of night might even get out of house soon....first time since last thursday
lisalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

Yey jcb man!

Since the schools are closed round here the farmer has been out in his tractor getting the kids to help spread out grit over our lane. Didn't do my drive tho so car is still parked on the main road x
Old 03-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

when I was a child on our council estate everyone would clear their own path, their neibours if they were elderly and a section of the main path and road, without being told or asked to, thus you could safely walk to the shops and those few cars that were around were never stuck. I think a few communities still do this but most seem to wait for someone else, I remember seeing lots of dads and kids with shovels and brooms, we also automaticly went to the nearest school which rarely closed and we walked in big coats and wellies with our indoor shoes in bags.I also think the milkman got through regardless of the snow, I suppose there were gritters but I can remember cars driving on the compacted snow without that much problem, I'm talking about the 60's, so much for modern times. Mum used to put plastic bags over my gloves which were hand knitted by her so they didn't get wet and bags over my socks in my wellies as the snow was always getting into them, dad loved to make sledges and they always had a strip of metal on the runners to make them go faster, we'd take it to the shops for the shopping and me to ride on, they were good days we didn't have much money but never went without.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Everyone usually clears their path here too but when it is over 30 inches deep it just becomes impossible. One tractor/snow plough thing came down and pushed all the snow over the all the bits people had cleared and now it's about 4-5ft high on the pavements in places
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

Yeah we had outside toilets when I was little. I wouldn't mind but i'm only 28! My dad used to go and make a path for all the old biddies in the street so they could get to them. And my mam used to do their shopping. Sadly I doubt that folks would still do that. People only seem to look after themselves now. Altho that farmer was just a local and not employed by the council or owt.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

I think there's still far more community spirit in the country than in towns, sadly many don't even know their neibour let alone offer to help, it also seems to be a age thing, the older ones are the ones that still have that helping spirit or the 'if you want something done do it yourself'.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
dolittle
Hatched

You aren't meant to clear the paths any more due to the compensation era we live in now where you would be liable if any one slips up on areas you cleared. Apparently you are making a dangerous area more dangerous.
fish
2 male leopard geckos
1 panther chameleon
ca painted wood turtle

nicola osborne on facebook

RIP my wonderful boxer sasha, will miss you lotsxxxxxxxx 13 04 10
dolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
PumpkinPie
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to PumpkinPie

A JCB came here yesterday too, got my car out for the first time in over a week and the neighbours even helped me...first time I've ever spoken to them TBH
PumpkinPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolittle View Post
You aren't meant to clear the paths any more due to the compensation era we live in now where you would be liable if any one slips up on areas you cleared. Apparently you are making a dangerous area more dangerous.
This is true, if say the postman were to slip on a cleared path by you, he can claim against you apparently.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
louis
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolittle View Post
this sums it up true words what a crazy world were in

i know a guy who has a old landrover 4x4 and a winch on the front we was driving along the road and see a amberlance slid off the road he stopped winched them out and the got told of by the police for helping
louis is offline   Reply With Quote