Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 23-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
CherryBrandy
Adult

Default Nasturtium

Does anyone agree Nasturtium is a difficult word to spell ?

Does any one know how many varieties there are ?

I love them . I am growing Paso doble, Peach melba (a fav) Crimson Emperor , Alaska Mix and took some Black nasturtiums to the show.

It makes me laugh when they say - sow direct...really ? cause when the little mouths come along any new sprouting's disappear !

Has anyone had any luck in keeping them overwinter to come again? CB
Old 23-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #2
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
Does anyone agree Nasturtium is a difficult word to spell ?

Does any one know how many varieties there are ?

I love them . I am growing Paso doble, Peach melba (a fav) Crimson Emperor , Alaska Mix and took some Black nasturtiums to the show.

It makes me laugh when they say - sow direct...really ? cause when the little mouths come along any new sprouting's disappear !

Has anyone had any luck in keeping them overwinter to come again? CB
Well I'm dyslexic so I find it impossible to spell ( notice I didnt write the word , I just put "it" ) I didn't know there were different varieties, but I have found them very difficult to grow, cos of the black fly, so I've given up.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

I'm growing Empress of India, Tom Thumb and Mixed Tall this year. I've not put them in the weed border or the ground directly this year as they take over, but into lots of hanging baskets and wall baskets and a few pots.
Yes, I've had them come again the following spring in the same position. I find they're the easiest seed to grow and they'll self seed and grow anywhere, even in the stones along the side of the garden paths.

The black fly haven't got to them yet but they are a pain. I try and blast them with a spray of soapy water as soon as I see them.
So pretty but a magnet to blackfly and cabbage white butterflies to lay their eggs.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 09:46 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

I wonder why that is re black fly...I am keeping them indoors for a while this time to make sure they are strong. last year the stems were covered in black fly , its so annoying. I am going to try an upside down basket this year too. (not on my head you understand). Empress of india sounds good , I will sus it out. I remember the first time I found out geraniums came from south Africa and realised you hardly hard to water them ! bonus ! I wonder where Nassys come from ? India perhaps then ? CB
Old 27-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
Merlin M
Adult

I love nasturtiums, the first thing I ever grew when I wanted to get into gardening mummy gave me a wee patch in the garden and some nasturtium seeds! They are so easy to grow and so pretty!!

I just bought some seeds from the garden centre with 5 varieties but I can't remember that they are...
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

Ha ! that's soo good when mums do that - none of my friends do it with their children, I think its lost amongst I phones and play stations.

I did same as you buy seeds but not sure what variety but this year !! I made a note of them - I even did a time lapse on the seeds coming up (be terrific to see if photo mucket was ok and I could post).

CB
Old 27-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

I love them too (& my torts leaves & flowers) this year I have used window boxs along my enclosure walls! Stop them eating the lot, including roots!

Every time I popped into Lidl last summer & early this I seemed to buy 5 pkts of seeds for £1! I found loads when I opened my seed box!

They are the varieties Emma mentioned but I also brought some "ladybird" cream red varieties from the internet which havent flowered yet, looking forward to them.

I have also got seeds for red plantain & pink dandelions! I will let you know how I get on!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #8
Suze65
Adult

I feel inspired to try again, now I've read all your posts. Next year !

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

Nooooo ! Try this year !!! just stick some seeds in old pots that's what I did ...(a bit more care on my black nassys (sorry not even spell check can help me this time !). But within weeks they were peaking out. it isn't too late, the packets say sow direct but that's where I think the black fly come...I was told when flowers are weak ie they are pecked by birds then they send a distress call out and bees avoid them so they don't continue their 'line' and that's when the affids come in handy...but these days due to so many chemicals the affids are all out of sync because we have interfered with natures cycle ...so grow indoors if can and then plant out... or on yur lovely brick wall.
ooh didn't know lidls did them Lynn Ill look out for them as its never too late for them im told,
A

nasturtium seed off ! A nasturtium plant off ! it could catch on !

Old 28-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #10
Jan W
Sub Adult

Fortunately auto correct works with nasturtium quite nicely. I used to think it always had an 'n' on the end.

I have some reised beds and they have grown again this year. No sign of flowers yet. Torts not at all interested in the leaves.

Last edited by Jan W; 29-05-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote