Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 18-07-2015, 11:30 PM   #11
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

HI there and welcome.

I don't think readigrass is normally thought of a tortoise food. This time of year there are lots of plants that they can eat which are growing in your own or a friend's garden. It's good to get to know some of them.
Old 19-07-2015, 01:08 AM   #12
Wyannis
Hatchling

Hi Nade and welcome to the forum. I agree with Yuna that plantain is a good one to start with. Before I became a tortoise keeper I knew it as soldiers.
Wyannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 07:45 AM   #13
Stellanne
Hatchling

As a general rule Nade, don't feed anything that is grown from a bulb or is evergreen....... And when you hear 'tortoises eat weeds', yes they do but not ALL weeds are safe to feed so it would be a great idea to photograph first as has been suggested and post on here.
Have a look at the edible weeds section or check out Tortoise table plant website.... I use that a lot and find it very helpful. If you identify weeds a couple each year, over time you will soon build up your knowledge. Also as an added bonus you may be surprised at how many garden plants you already have that are Tort friendly...... Pansies, mallows, hibiscus, x x x. Hugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 10:14 PM   #14
GemJam
Incubating

Hi Nade and welcome.

I also have a Hermanns, mine is 2 next month and I have had her since she was 6 months. I am completely rubbish at identifying weeds in the wild, so I grow a variety of plants (edible ones found on the tortoise table website) in my garden as well as shelled warriors seed mix for Mediterranean tortoises (they grow surprisingly quick!). I have also used pellets, and as you mentioned yes you do need to soak them in water before giving them to your tort or as someone else mentioned, some crispy florette lettuce mix and romaine lettuce thoroughly washed from the supermarket.
I try and give her a mixed diet each day, always with fresh water and she seems to stomp around and eat all her food so I hope she is happy!!

GemJam

1 Hermanns Tortoise - Hettie
GemJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #15
Nade55
Egg

Thanks all so much, i've got some seeds from the shop and i also bought some dried mix from thre as well to be getting on with and theres some books on there way! Xx
Nade55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food