Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 07-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
mather
Egg

Default egg help

I have 2 fertile hermans eggs in incubator on day 51 does anyone have an idea when they will hatch i have been told day 52 also is there any tell tale signs with out candling them to say they will hatch soon
mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

At your temperature it should be less then 60 days but can't give you an exact day. There are no signs, other then looking in the egg, that will tell you an egg is about to hatch. You just have to be patient and not open the incubator more then once a day. As this lets the heat and humidity out the more you open it. What's your humidity %?

Danny
Old 07-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
mather
Egg

My humidity is between 70-80% when i candled last the top of one egg was dark and the bottom clear and the other was dark one end and the other end clear.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Try to get the humidity over 80% with this close to hatching. Really, without pictures, I can't tell you what's going on. But if you shine your torch into the egg from the top and it looks empty, then you know your egg will be hatching very soon.

Danny
Old 07-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
mather
Egg

When i shine the torch from the top its dark cant see anything and at the bottom is clear like its empty. Does this sound like they will hatch soon?

Should i spray the eggs with warm water to increase humidity?
Old 07-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
cherylahutch
Adult

Don't spray the eggs I usually keep a tub of water at the bottom of my incubator. If your eggs are that close to hatching I'd say patience is the only thing. Once mine pip i usually put them onto damp kitchen roll with a damp kitchen roll tent over to help them. Good luck :0)
Old 07-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Doesn't sound like it's going to hatch really soon. It's when it looks empty when shining the light from the top that hatching will be soon.

Danny
Old 07-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
mather
Egg

How do you mean looks empty . The whole egg dark inside or clear inside? Also i am using an egg-o-bator with 1egg in a tub top shelf and 1 egg in a tub on the bottom . I have a spare tub should i fill it with water and leave lid of in the incubator?
Old 07-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

The egg will literally look empty like there is nothing in it, but the light must be shining in directly from the top of the egg. Yes fill the spare tub with water.

Danny
Old 07-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #10
mather
Egg

Ok i will do the water now . When i put the torch on the top you cant see anything at all it looks completely black but when you do it from the bottom it looks clear like a bubble

Tags
eggs, hatching