Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
miss_migalawes
Egg

Default I want to know how to treat this gorgeous baby well!

Hello Everybody!

So a month ago, someone gave me the best gift I have ever received in my life: a cute little baby tortoise. I wasn't expecting it and had no idea about turtles at that point, in fact i didn't even know that turtles and tortoises are not the same thing! but how can you refuse the gift of life?

I did my research, and found out that this baby is a girl and she's a tortoise not a turtle (doh). I have a fair idea about what to feed her (I tried mashed carrots, shredded cabbage leaves...) but she wouldn't eat them. So i went ahead and grabbed some leaves from weedy plants that i'm sure are not poisonous, and she finally liked one of them and ate some of it, she doesn't eat much though :/. I crushed some calcium powder and tried to feed it to her whether dry, on food or in water but she won't even go near it. Lately, she doesn't eat anymore and sleeps the entire day (going on a week now), I got soo worried! I did more research and some people said that tortoises won't eat if they are cold so i got her a lamp (unfortunately i couldn't get the UV one, i have the regular one with the yellow light) to cast warmth on her, which worked and she seemed to like it, but she still wouldn't eat.

I found this forum which is full of you shelled warriors experts! and I was hoping you can help me identify my tortoise, and give me some tips on how to keep her healthy and happy!! I just love her so much and I'd hate to lose her (i had her for a month, she's now 2-3 months old).

Photos of my baby are below.

http://basmajalloul.com/1.jpg
http://basmajalloul.com/2.jpg
http://basmajalloul.com/3.jpg
http://basmajalloul.com/4.jpg
http://basmajalloul.com/5.jpg

Thank you.
miss_migalawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

The OP is from the US

You have a Greek tortoise, Testudo graeca terrestris. It's looking more male than female though to me.

Danny
Old 05-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
miss_migalawes
Egg

Hey! Thanks for your reply! So my little tortoise is Greek, cool! I'm not sure about the gender though, at first i thought myself that s/he was a male but then people told me that she has a flat belly and fat tail therefore s/he's female as the male has a concave belly and a longer crooked to the side tail! I'm Tunisian by the way
Old 05-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Hi and welcome to the forum T G Terresteris tortoises are very, very difficult to find in the UK

there is a forum on the home page with care sheets - this one may help

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/Sit...er_Watson.html

Not sure what weeds you would have in the US - hopefully someone more knowledgeable on that will be along to help.

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Are you in Tunisia? Your IP address said you were in the United States.

If you are in Tunisia than you have a native Tunisian greek tortoise, Testudo graeca nabeulensis.

Danny
Old 05-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Catwoman63
Adult

Hello and welcome, your baby looks about a month old so difficult to sex I would think , but how lovely, a little terrestris or nabeulensis x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
miss_migalawes
Egg

Hey Guys!
Thank you all for your responses! Great to see your passion for these little creatures! I don't know why my IP says i'm in the US, but I'm in Tunisia, which is in North Africa on the Mediterranean sea. The weather here is warm but in the winter it gets reaaaally cold Don't hesistate if anyone else have any knowledge about how to feed this baby, the care sheet was helpful though!
Thanks
Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_migalawes View Post
Hey! Thanks for your reply! So my little tortoise is Greek, cool! I'm not sure about the gender though, at first i thought myself that s/he was a male but then people told me that she has a flat belly and fat tail therefore s/he's female as the male has a concave belly and a longer crooked to the side tail! I'm Tunisian by the way
The traits you mention, flat/concave underside don't apply to youngsters - only when they approach adult size - I would go with Dan's thoughts
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Danny maybe our OP is using a proxy server or a dark web service to stay under the radar. You never know when a zealous tortoise care expert is going to track you down for a chat about husbandry issues!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
miss_migalawes
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Danny maybe our OP is using a proxy server or a dark web service to stay under the radar. You never know when a zealous tortoise care expert is going to track you down for a chat about husbandry issues!
HAHA yeah, maybe I'm Splinter and this turtle is Donatello! So, shhhhhhhhhh, Shredder mustn't know!
On a serious note, I tried to edit my profile to add a picture and my location but it gives me an error and won't let me do it. I contacted the forum's support and I hope they'll help me.

Tags
baby tortoise, hatchling, tortoise care