Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 06-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Earthell
Egg

Default Tortoise Table -is this ok?

I was just hoping for some advice on whether this tortoise table is ok for one horsfield tortoise. He's lived in there for a few years but if it's not good enough I want to know so I can fix this! (He's my sister's but I'll be caring for him next year)

It's 2ft 5 length x 2ft width and just under 1ft deep
His bedding is currently just hay, he has a small covered up section where he usually sleeps, and some decorative stones from a pet shop (intended for an aquarium I think).

Any advice/ constructive criticisms are welcome and appreciated, even if you're telling me I need to scrap it and build a new one myself!

Thanks!

Earthell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
sprakey34
Egg

Hi,
One thing to consider will be the size of the tortoise. Also I would be a bit careful with the hay as substrate - the light may cause a fire, you could use soil/sand mix. The table looks like it is made of contiboard - what you could do is unscrew all 4 sides and add longer lengths on 2 sides before replacing the ends - you could make it as long as you have room for. Obviously you would need a bigger base. Another popular method of making a table is to use a bookcase on its back, minus the shelves and with a reinforced backing board as a base. Have a look at your local amenity tip - it's amazing what people throw out and you could pay only a few pounds. Good luck.
Meriel.
sprakey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
jonesy
Hatched

Well done for having a go but to be honest it does need changing. It could do with being at least twice this size. Get rid of the hay immediately and put in a 50/50 topsoil/plapit sand, which is much better for your tortoise.
I cannot make out the bulb, but hopefully it is a reflector spot bulb which underneath the temps should be 30C.
In a bigger area you could then put some shrub plants to give the tortoise an interesting area where it can wander and hide.
Hope this helps and please come back if you have any questions.
Thanks
http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
http://www.hedgehoglady.co.uk
http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk Holiday home
jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Gordon
Adult

How many steps does it take for him/her to get from one end to the other not many i,m sure please give it a bigger table i,m sure you would,nt like to be in a small area like that would you
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
Earthell
Egg

thanks for all the advice!

I think I have read somewhere before that hay isn't good and I tried adding a topsoil mix as jonesy suggested, however when I left my sister switched back to hay because the soil was too tiresome to clean, thanks for confirming that I was right in doing that though, I'll switch him back just as soon as I can

I don't know anything about the bulb I'm afraid, as I'm not in charge of his care at the moment, I'll try and check on that.

thanks for the suggestions, I'll do a bit of research and try to decide whether it's easier to take the table apart or just get him a wardrobe!
Earthell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
yuna1971
Adult

An old wardrobe or bookshelf is quite easy to make into a table.
You are doing the right thing by changing to the soil substrate - he will be happier in it. Make sure its not too cold or damp as horsefields dont fair well with this. How big is he and age? The bigger the table..the more space there is to heat and provide the temp gradient needed. It depends really on how big he is...
The bulb - yes, find out what the wattage is, and make if you can. We can advise further if need be. Also - are you using a UVB strip? If you can, what is the make and % of the strip and does it have a reflector??
Well done for posting, and it wont take long to get the basic set up right. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horsefield tortoise, housing, indoor enclosure, tortoise table