Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 19-10-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
kayleigh270888
Egg

Unhappy Very scared about hibernation :(

1 x 11yr herman male
4 x 11yr herman females

Hi,
I have had my herman torts for about 10yrs now and have never hibernated them, mostly because we were told it wasn't necessary but now I know it's best for them and my vet is pretty keen for me to do it too. But I am so incredibly scared that something bad will happen, and they won't wake up.

I am thinking about doing a 12 week box method in our conservatory- realistically it's the only method I have room for. I have bought a temperature probe to monitor temps to see if this is likely to be viable (to get some test readings over the next couple of weeks)- I would prob put them down Dec-Feb.

My females are all in great condition, but is it dangerous for them to go down if they have eggs? I don't see how it would do them harm? & I can't tell if they have eggs but I've had hatchling's before.

I would not put my male down as he's had a minor cut and mouth infection, although the vets assured me it's practically nothing and he required no treatment but to get better on his own, he is not kept with my other torts.

I've read that people weigh their torts during hibernation and check to see if they have urinated, but surely this wakes up the tort and uses up energy stores?

In previous years when we have over-wintered they have slowed down a lot- I know they want to hibernate, I'm just so worried about them.
Is it worth the risk? I want to do whats best but I'd be devastated if it went wrong- I've had them since I was at school

Any advice would be much appreciated.
kayleigh270888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

the conservatory won't work if it has windows, any sun will make it to hot and it will be far to cold if the weather is bad, you need an area that will stay between 4-6c. If you have no where else than you'll need to think about getting a small fridge without a freezer compartment, this is much safer as the temp can be set to and kept at around 5c and with the door opened daily for an air exchange and tort check is the safest method. The other way is to use a brick outbuilding that is constantly cold and have a heater on a thermostat in there if the temps drop low.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
ibizathetort
Adult

My feeling is if you are very uncomfortable and scared about hibernation, don't do it especially if your torts are in great condition after 10 years of overwintering
Hatchling Horsfield - Bora
Hatchling Horsfield - Bossa
Hatchling Horsfield - Jet

ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
yuna1971
Adult

I think to just see what other opinions come back on this post, read up on other threads and then make a decision. Its one of those things where people can only give you opinion of what has worked for them.
This subject is always of much debate every year....but no one can make the decision for you. They can only advise on each method. There are pro's and con's with both.
If you want my opinion, although your torts sound in great health the mere fact that you are so worried and your confidence isnt good, I would not do it this year. And if you are sure you want to do it next year, then lots of reading up. Give yourself time to figure out the method (box or fridge, outside dug down) that will be easiest and stress free for all. You will be able to suss out (if doing the box) where is likely to be the best place in terms of temp readings, or plan to get a small fridge and ask the questions on temps, and the signs/things to look out for when doing that method.
I am not against hibernation (I overwinter Lily)...in due time, I myself might do this - but I probably would not..if I was overwhelmed with worry and didnt have 100% confidence that I knew what I was doing and that I was doing it right.
As I said, its always a subject of debate - so keep checking back to this post, seeing what others advise and this should help you make the right decision.
What ever you decide to do is NOT wrong. And I wish you lots of luck with what you choose to do. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Beverley
Adult

I think, if you feel your tortoises are doing well without hibernation then don't stress yourself and just keep doing what you have done this past 10 years.
I do hibernate mine, and yes it was a bit worrying the first year, but it went well and this year I will hibernate 10 of mine. It's not for everyone but you do what is right for you
Old 19-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Kayleigh I agree with the others - you don't feel right about it and if you forced yourslef to hibernate these tortoises you would be highly anxious including when they were hibernating.

If you think you might use the conservatory in the future, I think it would be useful if you kept written notes of the temperatures in your conservatory over this winter. Some conservatories can heat up very quickly even with February sunshine and might not be suitable.

Its true that some us weigh our tortoises during hibernation to see if they seem to be doing alright. People using the fridge method find the animal doesn't waken up significantly during the time it takes to do the weighing.

In terms of hibernation going wrong, well this can happen. Most times the tortoise wakens up, but then goes into a downward spiral, refuses to eat and declines rapidly. This is far more common than dying during hibernation and not ever waking.
Old 19-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
Levi
Hatched

I agree with PG, I very much doubt your conservatory will be any good. I box hibernated for many years and I found it absolute hell most years. Either too hot or too cold (with power cuts).
I've been fridge hibernate her at a constant 5°C for the last 5 years and she now loses very little weight and last year she was eating on her second day up after 20 weeks in the fridge. It is so much more relaxing, I get her out and weigh her every few weeks, she doesn't wake up.
It is perfectly normal to be worried, I was the first year I put her in the fridge.
If you do decide to hibernate I would recommend getting a good fridge for next year, rather than box hibernating this year.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Pussygalore
Adult

I have always boxed my adults (I had untill recently) but at our previous house we had a brick outbuilding which stayed cold all year round, it had a heater set on a thermostat and worked very well. We could keep it at 5c with little trouble, this last year we had to use a shed, this time we boxed in an area under the shelf, insulated it with loft lagging and had a 'door' front that could be removed. The shed had tubular heating again on a thermostat, this did work well but the heating was on most of the time in the bad weather, thermometers were inside the box, inside the insulated area and the shed itself. The box was a lidded wooden one, it would have been easier with a fridge and had we still got the torts would have been what we would have used this year.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibizathetort View Post
My feeling is if you are very uncomfortable and scared about hibernation, don't do it especially if your torts are in great condition after 10 years of overwintering
I agree with this
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
emma_mcraf
Adult

I have to agree with the others too. I made the decision to overwinter my four because I just don't feel comfortable hibernating them. I had a good long read up on the pros and cons to make sure I felt it was a reasonably educated decision and I'm happy with it.

Only you can make the decision - just do what you feel is right for you and your torts. Good luck.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conservatory, eggs, hibernation