Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 11-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
Trac3y
Egg

They state Captive Bred
Trac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trac3y View Post
They state Captive Bred
Tracy I have sent you a pm. They are "captive bred" in Turkey! Imported! I strongly urge you not to buy from there. It will only cause you grief.

Yes, don't mention the company name.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
Trac3y
Egg

Ok, back to square one in finding a tortoise! I'll avoid ones that are not bred in the UK. I did automatically presume these were! Not good to be presumptuous! I'm not in any rush anyway. So what age should I look for to try to make it really tame?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #14
Pussygalore
Adult

the papers should say the country of origin so if the seller is the breeder it will say uk and unless its changed the sellers name and address on them. I'm not sure about the new chips but certainly with the old ones you have to change the name and address when the tort changes hands or you move but I don't know of many who are using the new ones yet so your seller must be really up to date, it is a well known person? someone from here?
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #15
Pussygalore
Adult

they don't become 'tame' as such they get used to you and handling, they don't like being 'cuddled' or handled more than needed although given time they will learn to recognise the voice/hand that feeds them. As they don't have any teeth as such they can't hurt you like another 'wild' animal and being bred in cpativity are'nt really wild in the first place.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
the papers should say the country of origin so if the seller is the breeder it will say uk and unless its changed the sellers name and address on them. I'm not sure about the new chips but certainly with the old ones you have to change the name and address when the tort changes hands or you move but I don't know of many who are using the new ones yet so your seller must be really up to date, it is a well known person? someone from here?
Ann it's a well known online shop. They are advertising Dwarf Hermanns "captive bred" in Turkey, complete with the new chips. I got two Hermanns from here in January (before I saw the light) and had to go to the vet within 4 days!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #17
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
they don't become 'tame' as such they get used to you and handling, they don't like being 'cuddled' or handled more than needed although given time they will learn to recognise the voice/hand that feeds them. As they don't have any teeth as such they can't hurt you like another 'wild' animal and being bred in cpativity are'nt really wild in the first place.
As Alan said, there's some concern that the tortoises from foreign farms are actually "wild caught". I know mine would hiss and their heads would go straight in the shell when I first got them. Whereas my Iberas are only 6 and 9 months old and their heads stay out - they dont mind being lifted at all. But you are right, you wouldn't cuddle a tortoise or anything!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #18
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I am not one who believes they are wild caught by the way
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #19
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
I am not one who believes they are wild caught by the way
I couldn't say for definite either way, but I have read a lot about it recently and there are some serious questions that these farms should be made to answer.

Even if they are captive bred, the way they are imported is reason enough not to buy them!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #20
Trac3y
Egg

Sorry I didn't mean cuddle, when i said tame i meant not shy away when you were near them and come out for food maybe when they hear your voice or smell your scent. Not quickly scuttle away when they hear someone coming nearer if you know what I mean.

Tags
1 or 2, hermanii hermanni, hermann