Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
My tortoise had a huge bladder stone when she was three years old. Her cloaca was swollen and she was straining.

Lorna
One of mine too.

I don't know how it's been diagnosed with worms unless a poop sample was taken along too but then if it isn't producing any

can worms be diagnosed without a sample?

BTW, this one should maybe have been in the Health and Vets section for more replies
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #12
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Carol

Try not to worry too much, you're doing all you can. One of mine pased a stone once, he was only about 4 months old and was really struggling. As has been said, lots of baths (I bathed mine Loads, every couple of hours in warm water for about 20 mins) and eventually he passed it.

I believe you do need the heat on him to help get things moving, fingers crossed he will pass whatever he is trying to in the next couple of days.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
Evie
Sub Adult

There is nothing I can add as you have had some good advise already - it wouldn't hurt to phone your vets if you are still worried.

Would lubrication help him pass anything a bit easier.

I am sure with the continous baths he will pass something eventually.

Good luck with him.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #14
**Carol**
Egg

Thanks for all the advice everyone (and sorry I keep posting in the wrong forum section - I must read all the sections before I start a thread!)
Alan - Thanks for the advise about the solar glo, as it was just his heat lamp that broke i still have his separate uv light so I will keep that in aswell as the solarglo. The vet did have a feel around and didn't think it was a bladder stone as she couldn't feel any lumps. Also she took an x-ray and although I'm not certain, I think it would have showed up if there had been a stone. There was a vet student present at the assessment but everything that she said the vet checked over so I do trust that he was assessed competently and the vet seemed very confident in her diagnosis.
EJ - the vet obtained a poo sample while he was there overnight and analysed it and concluded worms. If he is not feeling better soon I will take him back for a second opinion.
Update - Just in from work and Reggie has eaten some food today which is good and i shall give him a bath in a little while and see if he passes anything. Fingers crossed.

1 Cute Little Hermann's - Reggie
1 Naughty Black Kitten - Nala
3 Multicoloured Corn Snakes - Nacho, Salsa and Snow
**Carol** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
**Carol**
Egg

Sorry I just realised there was a second page of comments! They managed to get a poo sample at the vets because, although he was struggling, he was actually passing almost every day before I took him. It was just that he seemed to be straining a lot that worried me. So it is only since coming back from the vets that he hasn't passed a single poo. I don't know if it's the stress of being away from home for a night and being poked and prodded or the medication, which I think might be more likely.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #16
**Carol**
Egg

Hi again,
Reggie just had has bath and did a wee, however the urates were yellowish rather than white, and pretty stringy (I have no idea what this may signify). Straight after weeing he strained again with his legs at 180 degrees and his bum right up and something came out again, it was brown/pink and then it went back in. I have been frantically reading all over this site and am inclined to lean towards it may have been a penis (despite the fact i call him 'he' the vet said last week she's pretty sure he's a girl due to the non-curvature on the inside of his shell) so I'm dubious about the penis scenario, but I would hate to think he is prolapsing his intestines, which I'm fairly sure isn't right as all pics I have seen of that happening are bright red things coming out. Is it normal for a male tort to push 'it' out when straining for a poo? am i jumping to random conclusions here?
He finished his worm medicine tonight but there is still not an excreted worm in sight and so I think I will call the vets tomorrow morning to be on the safe side. Also I will be bathing him 2/3 times a day now until he improves/starts to go regularly again.
Also what would be best to feed him to get his bowels moving along a bit? I've heard mixed reviews about cucumber? Any ideas?
Thanks again (in advance )

Old 09-03-2011, 02:05 AM   #17
EJ
Adult

Both males and females have an organ that looks like a penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Carol** View Post
Hi again,
Reggie just had has bath and did a wee, however the urates were yellowish rather than white, and pretty stringy (I have no idea what this may signify). Straight after weeing he strained again with his legs at 180 degrees and his bum right up and something came out again, it was brown/pink and then it went back in. I have been frantically reading all over this site and am inclined to lean towards it may have been a penis (despite the fact i call him 'he' the vet said last week she's pretty sure he's a girl due to the non-curvature on the inside of his shell) so I'm dubious about the penis scenario, but I would hate to think he is prolapsing his intestines, which I'm fairly sure isn't right as all pics I have seen of that happening are bright red things coming out. Is it normal for a male tort to push 'it' out when straining for a poo? am i jumping to random conclusions here?
He finished his worm medicine tonight but there is still not an excreted worm in sight and so I think I will call the vets tomorrow morning to be on the safe side. Also I will be bathing him 2/3 times a day now until he improves/starts to go regularly again.
Also what would be best to feed him to get his bowels moving along a bit? I've heard mixed reviews about cucumber? Any ideas?
Thanks again (in advance )
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #18
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

cucumber is 98% water so it does soften it a bit. it doesn't really have any benefits as regards nutrition. It's a good idea to go back to the vet I think
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #19
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

At two years old I'd have thought it unlikely that his plastron would be curved inwards yet, even if he is a boy. I've yet to hear on here about a female producing her sex organ - actually only perhaps once but it wasn't a proven female. I've only seen a picture in a book so chances are I reckon it was his penis (although obviously not ruling the girly bit out)

Alan is right in saying that cucumber isn't great nutritionally but for hydration it wouldn't hurt - nor would the odd strawberry.

I've heard of vets prescribing lactulose for constipated torts but it's not something I would do without the vets advice.

Perhaps a phonecall to the vets might shed some light on what to do next
Old 14-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #20
**Carol**
Egg

Took Reggie back to the vet today as he still wasn't pooing at all, his tail swelling hadn't gone down and he just seemed very blue. While the vet was poking and prodding him and thinking about whether or not to give him laxatives and keep him over night, guess what he does - a HUGE poo!! Right there on the vets table! The vet was amazed as the entire poo was a big mass of dead worms, it had probably been blocked up inside him and the stress of the vets had pushed it out - but it was such a relief! At least I know know some of the worms are out and they are definitely dead inside him he just needs to get rid of the rest. Also I now know that he is definitely a boy - as he flashed the poor unsuspecting vet!
I've been reading the threads in this section about septecemia and was panicing that his shell was looking a little pink along the lines but the vet said this, and the fact that his shell is a little soft will most likely have been caused by his calcium deficiency. And that it will clear up once his diet is rectified and his calcium levels rise.
I am so happy I think he is on the mend now, I feel like I've been an awful tortoise-mum to let him get into this mess but now I know everything I have done wrong it won't ever be happening again!

Tags
mbd, swollen, worms