Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 10-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
Herpard
Adult

Default Bubbles in the morning

Hi all,

I don't think Squirt has RNS but in the morning when i just turn on Squirts bulbs she blows bubbles,I take her out and wipe her nose for her and a big piece of gooey stuff comes out,She is fine all day after i do this and there is no more bubbles/snot.

She doesn't do this every morning just on really cold mornings.If my mum gets up before me & puts the heating on she never has the bubbles/snot

So, What do you all think?

Does she have RNS? or is it normal for a Leopard to blow bubbles on cold mornings (Below 16oc)
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Beverley
Adult

I don't keep Leopards but would have thought no tortoise should blow bubbles like this in the morning. Perhaps you are keeping him too cold at night. I think a check up would do no harm. I am sure experienced keepers will be along to help
Old 10-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Herpard
Adult

Thanks,

TBH both me & my mum think it's because the house gets quite cold at night.

Once she is back in my room i'll try her with a couple of hot water bottles to see if that stops it(it only happens in my room too)
Old 10-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
burnt toast
Adult

I agree with Beverley. Dont think that is normal/good. I dont personally have a leopard, mine are Herman & Marginated but I dont let night temps drop below 16 for my meds & I believe African species should be hotter.

I would do a bit of research on suitable temperature range.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Herpard,

I would be looking into a more permanent over night heat source like a backround tube heater or even a heat mat attached to the roof of a hide to keep your leopard tortoise warm.(never put heat mats under a tortoise as they can burn themselves)

The trouble with hot water bottles is that they cool down so overnight would prove pretty useless unless you fancy getting up every few hours to refil with hot water!!!

I also agree with Beverley, that a check up would be no harm, bubbles from the nose are not a normal sign at all.

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
Evie
Sub Adult

RNS can be a result of dropping temps at night -they need to be above 20 oc - I would definately take him to the vets - mine have been on a F10 solution ( flushed into each nare daily) it seems to have done the trick.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
Herpard
Adult

Thanks, Will have to ask mum if she can take Squirt to the vets today

I would of used a heat mat sooner but i had read that you shouldn't use them with tortoises?

I don't mind getting up every couple of hours we've got an old rat that i keep checking on so would be able to refil the hot water bottle a few times a night
Old 10-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
Herpard
Adult

Right My mum went downstairs pretty much after i typed my last post.

She rang up our vets and they said she could be stressed if there have been any changes in her home and that could of caused the bubbles she also said the temperature at night could also be too cold for her! (She hasn't blown bubbles for the past few days since she's been in my sisters hot bedroom but she did blow bubbles the day the rats chewed through the cable on her new enclosure).

She also said (They got the vet to come talk to us) to bring her in and they'll give her a once over.

So it looks like we'll be Off to the vets in a minute.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
Evie
Sub Adult

You would be much better with a ceramic heater and thermostat - I have never used one because I used to keep the ambient temp in the room above 20 and now they are in their enclosure it has tubular heater and electric heater on at night.

I am sure someone else who has used them can advise you - unfortunately with leopards additional heating is pretty much needed throughout the year at night.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
Beverley
Adult

I agree with Evie a ceramic heat emitter is a good idea, I know to buy one and a stat is a bit expensive but better that than constant vet bills if your leopard is too cold. I use them with the Stars they are good.
I hope the vet visit goes well and your little one will be fine

Tags
bubbles, cold, leopard, morning, snot