Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 07-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
swad1000
Adult

They hibernate to avoid adverse weather and food conditions, but other animals given the same conditions do not hibernate.

So actually looking at animals that hibernate doesn't shed any light on it, as why do they hibernate when other animals don't?

Why have they chosen to live in an area that conditions exhist where hibernation is required for there survival?
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #12
EJ
Adult

The animals that do hibernate adapted to unfavorable rather than die out. They found suitable conditions that allowed them to survive the cold/hot periods.

If you took those same animals and moved them to their ranges closer to the equator they probably would not hibernate. Many of those tortoises that were taken out of the wild in areas that required hibernation were not hibernated and survived just fine.

I'm willing to bet that climatic changes left them stranded but I'm also sure that there was some migration. Keep in mind that these animals do not 'think' migration... it is probably an instinctive thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swad1000 View Post
They hibernate to avoid adverse weather and food conditions, but other animals given the same conditions do not hibernate.

So actually looking at animals that hibernate doesn't shed any light on it, as why do they hibernate when other animals don't?

Why have they chosen to live in an area that conditions exhist where hibernation is required for there survival?
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #13
tartaruga amore
Sub Adult

err there is no set length of time on animals than can hibernate, they only do so, to survive,
lets take hedgehogs & fish in the uk neither can find food in this weather, so hibernate
other animals "sit it out" some survive, many die,

if it stays warm enough, the fish & hedgehogs will stay awake all winter
oh and many fish & hedgehogs will die during hibernation

why dont i see you all rushing out to hibernate your goldfish, because if they were out in your pond, that is just what they would be doing now
tartaruga amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
tartaruga amore
Sub Adult

ah better put than me Ed
tartaruga amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #15
Phil76
Egg

Big thanks to everyone who was kind enough to share their (non) hibernation experiences.

I am not keen on putting him 'down' to hibernate, I can keep him right enough heat and food wise all year round so...

If I messed up and he didn't wake up or developed some condition I would die, so why risk it if there is no need.

Thanks a lot guys
Phil76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #16
swad1000
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Please don't mislead the OP... there are stone cold facts... reference the Testudo group, RES, Desert tortoises... many more. As I've said many times before... they only 'hibernate' if conditions drop to poor levels for survival.

So your stone cold facts are that some species don't hibernate, I've never seen that questioned, but the poster asked about a specific species. Not some other species that don't hibernate.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #17
swad1000
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartaruga amore View Post
err there is no set length of time on animals than can hibernate, they only do so, to survive,
lets take hedgehogs & fish in the uk neither can find food in this weather, so hibernate
other animals "sit it out" some survive, many die,

if it stays warm enough, the fish & hedgehogs will stay awake all winter
oh and many fish & hedgehogs will die during hibernation

why dont i see you all rushing out to hibernate your goldfish, because if they were out in your pond, that is just what they would be doing now
My goldfish are very much active, I fed them this morning, so are my Koi which are from a far warmer climate than we have here. None of which has any bearing on Hermans tortoises.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #18
swad1000
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
The animals that do hibernate adapted to unfavorable rather than die out. They found suitable conditions that allowed them to survive the cold/hot periods.

If you took those same animals and moved them to their ranges closer to the equator they probably would not hibernate. Many of those tortoises that were taken out of the wild in areas that required hibernation were not hibernated and survived just fine.

I'm willing to bet that climatic changes left them stranded but I'm also sure that there was some migration. Keep in mind that these animals do not 'think' migration... it is probably an instinctive thing.
Most european tortoises would not have exhisted where they do now 15,000 years ago as europe was pretty much covered in Ice, why move into these ares after ice receeded if the conditions found there are unfavourable?

Also you say probably wouldn't hibernate, thats not a stone cold fact, its opinion.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #19
EJ
Adult

I'm pretty sure I mentioned Testudo...

Again... with a little bit of thought it's not a stretch to infer that this behavior adaption can be adopted by other species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swad1000 View Post
So your stone cold facts are that some species don't hibernate, I've never seen that questioned, but the poster asked about a specific species. Not some other species that don't hibernate.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #20
swad1000
Adult

So now your stone cold fact, is an assumption and stretch. Again not what the OP asked for.

THe fact is there aren't any facts on this, it is purely opinion by keepers.

Tags
essential, herman, hibernaiton, winter