Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 26-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #11
naomij
Incubating

my father in law did our elecs, we have i see a box plug outside in a waterproof box, no idea how orwhy, but as he was an electricion, he knows lol

my basking light is only on for an hour or so in the mornings, then they are out. on cold raining days i keep the light on longer for them
this basking light really warms the shed up. i should say the shed has been insulated with loft lagging, bubble wrap then boarded on top so this helps , we have bubble wrap hanging from the door also
naomij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #12
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

I think the new regs for electrics came out in 2005, they have to be installed/checked by a so called qualified electrician, but you are still allowed to add sockets yourself off a ring main. Some electricians i know i would not let them in my house, they never went to school shady
Paul
Old 26-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #13
shutty
Egg

That's great thanks

and just to confirm 16shells you don't heat at night? I think I may stick my digital themomoter out there for a few nights before using it to see what its like.

Anyway rain has set in so only managed to get a floor and door support in today

shutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi, no heat at night, for Med torts in Summer, infact on,e of mine slept out in a rock cave last night. that i put in, temps were about 48f
Paul
Old 26-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
Star
Sub Adult

Hi,

Your outdoor enclosure looks fantastic, you really have thought it through and its coming together well

I do have a heat source out doors, and set the temperature so that if the outside temperature is above or at the temperature set, then the heater does not come on, but if the temperature falls below this, then the heater does come on, this way, they are kept at the adequate temperature and I also feel better and not so worried that they are becoming cold and not as active as they should be. The night time temps are also set, so that they can move further away from the heat source during the evening and obtain the required temps when needed.

The reason I tend to do this, is because the temps would be much higher in their natural environment and even though we are in our summer, this weather is crazy and unpredictable, so if its cold, all they have to do is go inside, warm up and then wonder around and enjoy themselves, warming up when and if needed.

Also, as the weather turns colder, it means they can still stay outside (which is where they are all year round, apart from hibernation). This way they can have the best possible enclosure and the best set up to suit all their needs.

Hope this helps
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Last edited by Star; 26-07-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #16
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi star, what's your outside heat source, and is it on thermostat
Paul
Old 26-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
Star
Sub Adult

Hi Paul,

I have a ceramic heat bulb which is inside a built in enclosure, it is on a thermostat with a sensor which keeps the temperature regulated.

I bought it from a pet suppliers, so you wouldnt have any problems with finding one.

I have an outside electricity supply which is linked to the torts house, I built an area for the sensor and a housing area inside to house the thermostat (this could just be connected to the side of the housing)....none of it was to hard to put in, the only real concerns are that your housing is water tight, also I drilled into the housing (a small hole) pushed the wire through, reconnected them, this helped minimize the possibility of water getting in, also I applied waterproof sealant around the inside and outside of the drilled hole once the wire was threaded through, just to be double safe.

Sorry if I am being to detailed, but just thought if I explain it all, then it may help....
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Old 27-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
shutty
Egg

That is really helpful Star, I love the idea of the temp being based on the outside.

What wattage ceramic heat bulb do you use? and is it in a ceramic fitting or a standard house light fitting?

Thanks
shutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #19
Star
Sub Adult

[IMG][/IMG]

Hi Shutty,

Its a 100w ceramic bulb and I have it fitted as such (see pic). The reason I went for this system was, firstly I can un hock the heater and move it to the outside section of the enclosure (I remove it from the nighttime section of the outside enclosure which is a little hut type house), the outside enclosure also has a shelter section so the heater is safe from water, but it also means that when the weather gets a little cold, but we still have good light, then its better for them to be outside receiving the natural UV rays. With this system, when they are outside the runs type section, if they get cold, instead of going into the house section, they can bask in the outdoor section and thus get more natural rays and I personally, have found that with this, they are much more active.

Hope this helps and makes sense
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin

Tags
enclosure, tortoise