Shelled Warriors Forums
 

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
NiTrO
Junior Member
Egg
 
NiTrO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Biddulph, Stoke On Trent
Posts: 28
Unhappy HELP! Is our Horsfield okay!!!

Our horsfield hasnt moved from the same spot for over 24hrs now is this normal?!?!
We are both new to keeping torts and apologise if this is normal, we are just worried.
Thank you!
NiTrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
sarah
Administrator
Adult
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newcastle-Under-Lyme
Posts: 11,914
Default

Can you tell us more about how you house your tortoise
Temperatures warm and cool end
Lighting?
have you bathed him?
__________________



STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Lolly8
Senior Member
Adult
 
Lolly8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Stoke on Trent
Posts: 5,276
Default

Have you touched him?Do you have spot light and UVB light for him?
__________________
Lolly8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
NiTrO
Junior Member
Egg
 
NiTrO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Biddulph, Stoke On Trent
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
Can you tell us more about how you house your tortoise
Temperatures warm and cool end
Lighting?
have you bathed him?
We have a viv, temperature controlled, a log house at the cooler end, we last bathed him a few days ago, we have a UVB light on for 12 hrs a day.
NiTrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
NiTrO
Junior Member
Egg
 
NiTrO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Biddulph, Stoke On Trent
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly8 View Post
Have you touched him?Do you have spot light and UVB light for him?
We do have a bulb and spotlight, bt we havent touched him yet incase he is just sleeping,
NiTrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
sarah
Administrator
Adult
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newcastle-Under-Lyme
Posts: 11,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTrO View Post
We have a viv, temperature controlled, a log house at the cooler end, we last bathed him a few days ago, we have a UVB light on for 12 hrs a day.
What temperate?
I would bath every other day if not every day
What strenght UVB? what heat light?
Whats the viv like? lots to do in there things to walk around?

Is he a pet shop tortoise? have you had him tested for worms and protazoa? you only need to take a poo sample to your vets and ask them to test it should cost around 10

sorry for all the questions but we need to know to find the problem
__________________



STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
sandy
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kent UK
Posts: 12,072
Default

Pick him/her up to see if you get some responce.
Where did you get your tortoise please?
Tortoises can take a while to ajust to a new home, but generally they will move, even if you pick it up and put it under the heat. They will go back to a house normally as they are scared.
__________________
< > 60+, keeping ibera, graeca and box turtles
\0/
/_\

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
NiTrO
Junior Member
Egg
 
NiTrO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Biddulph, Stoke On Trent
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
What temperate?
I would bath every other day if not every day
What strenght UVB? what heat light?
Whats the viv like? lots to do in there things to walk around?

Is he a pet shop tortoise? have you had him tested for worms and protazoa? you only need to take a poo sample to your vets and ask them to test it should cost around 10

sorry for all the questions but we need to know to find the problem
No dont worry questions are good lol, the viv is quite big, a few things are in there but weve only had him for about 6 weeks and in that time he was usually quite active, he is a pet shop tortoise, we havent had him tested for anything either.
NiTrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #9
NiTrO
Junior Member
Egg
 
NiTrO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Biddulph, Stoke On Trent
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Pick him/her up to see if you get some responce.
Where did you get your tortoise please?
Tortoises can take a while to ajust to a new home, but generally they will move, even if you pick it up and put it under the heat. They will go back to a house normally as they are scared.
He have had him for about six weeks now and got him from a pet shop, he used to be quite active thats why we are now worried but we will go and pick him up now and see what happens....

Last edited by NiTrO; 30-01-2009 at 10:53 PM.
NiTrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #10
sarah
Administrator
Adult
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newcastle-Under-Lyme
Posts: 11,914
Default

Not from a certain pet shop in fenton i urge you to take a poo sample to hannah bould in newcastle under lyme, best tortoise vet ever see vet section for details cost about 10.

Your tortoise is most probably wild caught so might have a worm burden

What temperatures?
__________________



STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
health, horsfield, sleeping


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.