Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 17-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #11
rickyrascal
Egg

Thank you very much , Ive moved the items away from the walls and have got my torts heat lights today , I have a 10.0 UVB light , im a little worried as it has to be mounted on the side of the enclosure and as the walls are low is there a risk that the tort will climb up and touch the light/burn itself ? Also for the Basking light do i need just a simple desk light ? or is it some kind of special light.

-Thanks-
rickyrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
Sylvia1
Adult

Hi. You can mount your UVB light above by fixing a simple frame which goes from one side, up & over the top and down the other side - like a goal! The light can then be attached to this above the table. Take a look at the indoor enclosures pics posted on here for inspiration. The basking light can be as simple as a spot bulb 60w or 100w. This can be mounted in a desk lamp and positioned to give a basking temp of 30-32 degrees at tort level. Hope this makes sense!

3 hermanns, 2 leopards, 2 german shepherds, 5 cats, 3 tropical tanks
Sylvia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #13
rickyrascal
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loobynev View Post
Hi. You can mount your UVB light above by fixing a simple frame which goes from one side, up & over the top and down the other side - like a goal! The light can then be attached to this above the table. Take a look at the indoor enclosures pics posted on here for inspiration. The basking light can be as simple as a spot bulb 60w or 100w. This can be mounted in a desk lamp and positioned to give a basking temp of 30-32 degrees at tort level. Hope this makes sense!

With the UBV light , how far from the enclosure should i elevate it .. if i build a frame like you suggested how high up is an ideal hight from the ground of the enclosure to ensure it gets the right amount of light.

Mounting it on the side is a defenate no no then ?
Old 17-12-2008, 10:54 PM   #14
Sylvia1
Adult

I believe a UVB tube should be no further than 12" above your tort as it ceases to become effective at any height above this. You can mount the tube on the side (which I admit I did but have since learnt otherwise). The reason it is best mounted above is because in the wild, the sun is above so it best mimics this and if mounted on the side, it has been said it can affect their eyes.

Old 18-12-2008, 01:57 AM   #15
rickyrascal
Egg

Ok thanks everyone , also should the uvb light be near the baskin light ? and another silly question , but should i keep them both at one side of the enclosure or in the middle .

Also do i keep them near its food area or sleeping area or out of the way ?
Old 18-12-2008, 04:50 PM   #16
Sylvia1
Adult

It's best to position both UVB and basking lamps at one end of the table so there will be a temperature gradient from hot to warm. This gives the tort a choice of where it would like to go. It's best to have a feeding area away from the heat as it will stay fresher. It may be worth giving the tort a couple of options for sleeping, one in the cool end and one in the middle.

Old 19-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #17
rickyrascal
Egg

Wooo my tort has arived , its very slow and doppy at the moment , been about an hour and it hasnt moved a step .. its defently alive as its head moves around but its not walking around or eating or anything.

Maybe it needs time to warm up ?
Old 19-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #18
Zen
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Congratualtions on your new arrival! They can take a little while to adjust to new surroundings, sounds like it's surveying its new accomodation!!!!

Rachael & Zen (THB)
'Show gratitude to every living thing'
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #19
Beverley
Adult

Ricky for a first attempt at a tortoise table habitat you have done really well, it needs a few little tweaks here and there as people have suggested, but well done, your new tortoise will love it and remember its suggestions people give, not criticism so ask as many questions as you need too and don't forget to show us your new tort.
Old 19-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #20
Sylvia1
Adult

Yay - you've got it! Looking forward to seeing pics. He/she will love the new home i'm sure

Tags
food, herman, homes, tortoise