Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 16-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
Shehani
Egg

Default Self-hibernation tortoise still not down

Our tortoise moved in with us this year - she was my husband's childhood tortoise in the 1980's but for the last 15 years has been with friends. She has always self hibernated, apparently digging herself a hole in the garden. For the last 6 weeks or so she has been in one spot in a bit of a hole but with her shell still visible. I'm worried that perhaps the ground is too hard, or maybe she doesn't have enough energy to keep digging. Or is it just not cold enough? She is not really moving at all and of course we stopped feeding her a while back. Any advice?
Shehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Shehani.

I'm of limited use to you as I don't hibernate mine outside but I think you're right to be concerned. If there was even a very light frost the tortoise might suffer eye damage or other problems.

One option would be helping the tortoise by lifting her out, digging the hole larger and deeper and breaking the soil up up so it's loose, putting her back and covering her over with at least a few inches.

For better answers it would help to know what species of tortoise you have.
Old 19-11-2016, 01:58 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehani View Post
Our tortoise moved in with us this year - she was my husband's childhood tortoise in the 1980's but for the last 15 years has been with friends. She has always self hibernated, apparently digging herself a hole in the garden. For the last 6 weeks or so she has been in one spot in a bit of a hole but with her shell still visible. I'm worried that perhaps the ground is too hard, or maybe she doesn't have enough energy to keep digging. Or is it just not cold enough? She is not really moving at all and of course we stopped feeding her a while back. Any advice?
When mine have hibernated outside (before I was ready for them to do so:0) )
I used to try and find where they were, sometimes I could see the shell (just about a quarter of an inch showing) I used to keep an eye on the weather. If it turned really cold (more me panicing) I used to cover with an old sack and a bit more soil. They always came up the next year.
I am sure the temps are more stable under ground than above. But most keepers panic:0)
The real thing to worry about this is, whether they have an empty stomach or not before digging in. Tortoises insticts are good, they know when to slow down eating as temps drop. Knowing the tortoise is most important.
I would just monitor and let the tortoise do his/her thing.
Also keep an eye on the water levels in your area, as having a high water table is not good.
Generally they dig in around plants and shrubs:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
When mine have hibernated outside (before I was ready for them to do so:0) )
I used to try and find where they were, sometimes I could see the shell (just about a quarter of an inch showing) I used to keep an eye on the weather. If it turned really cold (more me panicing) I used to cover with an old sack and a bit more soil. They always came up the next year.
I am sure the temps are more stable under ground than above. But most keepers panic:0)
The real thing to worry about this is, whether they have an empty stomach or not before digging in. Tortoises insticts are good, they know when to slow down eating as temps drop. Knowing the tortoise is most important.
I would just monitor and let the tortoise do his/her thing.
Also keep an eye on the water levels in your area, as having a high water table is not good.
Generally they dig in around plants and shrubs:0)
Good advice

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
Jan W
Sub Adult

Welcome to the forum.
Old 20-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

Welcome to the forum and ask away ! A portrait of a tortoise is about Timothy at Selbourne Manor - lived til 80 odd years if I recall and never had a day under a heat lamp or indoors - hibernated in the vegetable patch and as long as safe and secure its probably the most ideal hibernating place (ie natural , not the vegetable patch). Hope all goes well, don't be afraid to keep checking and dig up if at all concerned and place in a secure safe box. He probably wouldn't even notice. CB

Tags
hibernation