Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 26-05-2015, 12:58 AM   #1
Mgangie
Egg

Default What to feed a horsfield

Hi everyone! I got my first baby horsfield yesterday and I'm getting such conflicting advice from the books I've read and posts online about what I should feed him.

I've also been given the names of weeds he can eat but, out of all of these, I can only identify the dandelion...

Can anyone help please?
Mgangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

This is a good place to start: http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp

Once you familiarise yourself with plantain, cat's ear, sowthistle and a few others weeds, you'll find them easy to identify in future. Of course clover is something that you'll recognise and can feed and you can grow your own weeds and flowers. The shelled warriors shop sells a great variety.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgangie View Post
Hi everyone! I got my first baby horsfield yesterday and I'm getting such conflicting advice from the books I've read and posts online about what I should feed him.

I've also been given the names of weeds he can eat but, out of all of these, I can only identify the dandelion...

Can anyone help please?
Dandelions, sowthistle, plantains large leaf and narrow, mallow, bittercress, campanula, pansies, iceplant, tree mallow, goats beard, hibiscus, lavetra, just to name a few:0)
Gathering seeds (some you can now) and sowing them in the Autumn is a good idea. As some seeds need the cold to help them germinate. You can also go to www.tortosies.net where you can find a downloadable booklet of suitable weeds. Which has been compiled by someone who breeds tortoises and has done a lot of field work with tortoises. Linda King.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby tortoise, feed, feeding, horsfield