Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 08-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
loopyloo85
Egg

Default Advice needed please :)

Hiya, I am looking at getting a baby tortoise. What is the usual age that hatchlings should be sold? Have been told different things and wanted to check. Thanks
loopyloo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Hanako
Hatchling

I think any age over 3 months old. I don't think it is a good idea to buy less than 3 months old and personally I wouldn't be comfortable buying until about a year old (give or take a few months). I would prefer around one year old, but you can buy any age. It depends on personal preferences.
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Merlin M
Adult

You can buy at any age really they are independent from hatching really... but most will wait a couple of months before selling to be sure they are healthy... remember a hatchling will need a bit more care, baths every day for example. Its all what you feel comfortable with in many ways...
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
loopyloo85
Egg

Thanks, will be first tortoise I have owned and want to make sure I do it properly. I enquired about some hatchlings and explained to the man that I had never had one before, he messaged saying they had just hatched and I could pick one up whenever?! Seemed a bit soon. Thinking for a first timer an older one may be better?
loopyloo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
Suze65
Adult

It does seem a bit soon, he sounds like he's in a rush, I would be a bit carefull. I would expect a good breeder to be asking you questions about your set up and knowledge , and giving you a good set of care sheets . Ask lots of questions if your not happy with the breeder, check their set up, see their torts, check all torts are healthy, clear eyes and nose, etc . If you let us know where you are I'm sure we could point you in the right direction.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatching, new member