Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 03-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
Urban Rogue
Egg

Default Hermann Light/Heat Advice Needed

Being new and not too well informed when purchasing our addition we went down the viv route (dont worry we are in process of going to table)
but we brought the seperate UV strip and heat lamp.

In the day we have both heat & uv on and the basking area sits at a steady 35c with a cooler end of the tank sitting around 20c.

Around 9pm we switch off the UV and leave the heat lamp on as its hooked up to a Habistat so it fades in and out as the temperature adjusts.

The question I have is , Do we need to lower the temp over night ? or do we leave it at 35c ?

Also the heat bulb is just a standard heat lamp (non ceramic) similar to that used in my snake tanks is this ok ?
The shop assured me it was but my trust in his knowledge since reading up as fallen drastically.

Many Thanks in advance
Lee
Urban Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

So your lamp is producing light at night? If it is you need to turn it off altogether at night. If you need something to add extra heat at night than a CHE would be the way to go. No you don't have to have a basking spot at night but should try to keep night time temperature around 20C where the tortoise sleeps.

Danny
Old 03-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
Urban Rogue
Egg

excellent thanks Danny
Would I be right in thinking that it wont hurt him to have the heat light on during the night tho untill I get a CHE organised ?

Im presuming if I changed the fitting on the Habistat I could do away with the lamp and just have the CHE working along side the UV strip ?
Old 03-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

As long as it won't take to long than it's fine, as having the light go on and off during the night can mess up a tortoises day/night cycle.

Yes you should be able to go with just the CHE and the UV strip light.

Just remember too that a table is nice but a viv is easier to keep temperatures where they should be, especially in the winter time. So no huge rush to get your new tortoise in a table at this time of year.

Danny
Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Urban Rogue
Egg

Great stuff thanks Danny.
Off on a adventure tomorrow for a new CHE and new fitting for the Habistat to hold it.

Anyone by any chance know of anywhere in the Wolverhampton area that may sell what im looking for ?

Thanks
Lee

Tags
hermann