Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 13-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
Sophiejn
Egg

Question Leopard tortoise advice please?

Hi guys,
On Tuesday, I got a female leopard tortoise, called Calypso. She's 2 years old and she isn't head shy. She looks healthy, but this is my first time with a tortoise so I can't really be sure. I've got her a tortoise table, with a covered bit with hay which she sleeps in, and I also have a UV light & a heat lamp. I use sand & organic soil for the substrate & feed her weeds at the moment which she seems to be enjoying.
The thing I wanted to ask is, is it normal for a leopard tortoise to spend most of its time sleeping? Anytime I check on her, she's asleep in the hay, and she hasn't left it by herself yet, I always get her out because I've been worried that she's been sleeping for hours on end, and when I do get her out, she basks for about 10 minutes, has something to eat and drink then goes straight back to bed. I have got an outdoor area for her, but the weather hasn't been appropriate, so she hasn't been out yet.
I was also wondering whether she may be lonely, and if my company is good enough, because I think she was earlier living with a few other tortoises, and I do take her out of the table alot and spend time with her, but maybe she misses the other guys?
Thanks for reading so much! Any advice would be very appreciated!
Sophiejn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
TillyTortoise
Adult

She might just be settling in, tortoises don't like change I'd give it a couple of weeks to see how she goes. Unless of course she shows any other signs of being ill.

Tortoises don't get lonely, i'm sure she will be fine on her own
Old 13-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Sophiejn
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyTortoise View Post
She might just be settling in, tortoises don't like change I'd give it a couple of weeks to see how she goes. Unless of course she shows any other signs of being ill.

Tortoises don't get lonely, i'm sure she will be fine on her own
Thanks! I'll be sure to keep an eye on her , but i'm sure she's probably settling in like you said
Sophiejn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
longbowassassin
Hatched

Hello and welcome. Can I ask what the temperatures are on the table.
longbowassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Mick.Ire
Hatched

Yeah it can take some time for them to settle so I wouldn't worry too much. Once the temps are spot on and it's eating it will become more active as time goes by.
One thing though, take out the hay, it's not good for them to be sleeping in hay because of the dust. It can affect their respiratory system and cause eye infections. A good alternative is sphagnum moss for burying. It's dust free and harmless if ingested.
Keep us posted. Cheers Mick.
1.5.5 Hinge-backs,
1.0.0 Yellow Foot,
1.0.0 Indian Star
0.1.0 Pancake.
Mick.Ire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, leopard, sleeping