Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 03-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
leal1981
Egg

Question ask u experts .... am i gettin things right ?

hi guys,
ive become proud mummy (lol) to a wee 18 mth old hermans & im sure like any over enthisiastic newbie ive over done things & am really looking for advise/reasurance as theres so much conflicting advise out there xxx

my little guy has access 2 the garden but as im in `sunny` scotland i worry about putting him out so he only has short spells to munch afew clovers & back to his viv which is 3ft x 1.5 ft mesh topped with extra venting along front/sides, it has a basking light & uv/heat lights which ive only been using on 1/2 power as that has set up @ 38/40 oc basking side 22/23oc cool side (is that to hot as he feels really cool when its turned off @ night ?)...it also has heated basking rock but im not sure to add this or not ?...ive ditched the hemp after reading up on this site but have kept the coir & spagem moss as thats what the seller had him on (is that ok ?), he has some rocks, a hide which he climbs onto then slides off ? and a shallow water bowl all the time & scatter various weeds/lettaces/alittle fruit as a treat (he loves strawbs) he also loves his cuttlefish (so should a still add nutri bal / calcium power which he refuses on his food & if so how much n when?) i try bathing him every other day but he isnt a fan & trys to escape pronto (am i doing something wrong?) he poo`s ever other day although ive not noticed as much of the white uric acid stuff as much as when i 1st got him (is this all norm ?)...

sorry in advance for all the questions im just really keen to get things just right xxx
leal1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
kkenny
Sub Adult

Hi, ahh I have a 2yr old Hermann and they are brilliant.

Looks like you are very caring. I think they prefer around 33-35oc in their hot end so yes, maybe a little on the warm side.

I too ditched Hemp and swapped to Readi Grass as I heard that coir holds too much moisture for a Hermann.

How warm is the bath water? I bath mine is a similar temp to that I would bath my children in - 36oc ish and mine loves it. Just a thought if it is too cool then that could be a reason.

I am not very experienced so someone else will tell you more, I have learnt everyting I need to know from the members on this site,

When you have 5 points or more it would be lovely to see a pic of you new baby!

Best of luck.

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, hermanns, newbie