Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 22-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
Tumlis
Egg

Default Help! Correct weights for Marginated hibernation

Hi,
I have a three year old male Testudo marginata, who have never been hibernated before. I have a larder fridge set up and running for him, and have decided to use a large margarine tub for his hibernating quarters. I decided this year would be a good time to hibernate him, and have reduced his light cycle in his indoor house over the past three weeks and also started reducing his food. He has now been going without food for the past week. He seems to have lost a fair amount of weight since two months ago, however.

His stats are:
167 mm SCL
710g September
675g November

I'm finding this really worrying, and as I've never hibernated a tort before I'm starting to change my mind and want keep him up through the winter again. Please help! I don't know if this excessive weight loss is normal, and whether I can just start feeding hm again and increasing his light cycle. Any recommendations would be a God send.
Tumlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

That last and the first weight are to low for your male. At that size he should weigh around 800g. I personally wouldn't hibernate him at the weight he is now.

Danny
Old 23-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
Tumlis
Egg

Hi,
Thanks for the advice.
I mainly feed him weeds, like dandelions, clover, etc and top it up with watercress, greens and rocket. I was under the impression that pelleted food was quite bad for him. Would you suggest a particular type?
Old 24-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Tumlis
Egg

I was thinking of getting him some 'Komodo Tortoise Dandelion' http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk...313-1012-p.asp from the shelledwarriors shop, it looks pretty good, and I'm assuming the shop wouldn't sell anything unsuitable..(?)

Tags
advice, hibernation, marginated, weight