Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 09-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
steeley
Egg

Default Badly cared for

just found this tort for sale ,what is your opinion?????????

Don't know if the link will work,not a computor wizard can just about turn it on,suppose someone can sort it

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/reptiles...5784C006261B0/
steeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
Beverley
Adult

When you buy any tortoise from someone you don't know, websites etc you take a risk. He looks big for a two year old.
Of course not all tortoises bought this way are unhealthy.
Personally these are the tortoises that I consider buying, owners get fed up or whatever and this tortoise needs a home that is not an aquarium, a good diet and help to become the wonderful tortoise I am sure he is.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
suttysue
Sub Adult

I also saw this the other day!
I would concider buying a tort like this so long as you intend to quaretine him/her for 6 months, thats if he/shes to go with other tort/s.
It would certainly benefit healthwise by removing it from the habitat its in!! Place it in the correct enviroment ie a tortoise table & feed it the correct diet of weeds etc & it is sure to thrive and have a much better life.
When purchased from this type of seller I always look upon it more as a rescue mission.
I agree with Tortoise Nut it does look big for 2yrs old & I would query that for sure,
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttysue View Post
I also saw this the other day!
I would concider buying a tort like this so long as you intend to quaretine him/her for 6 months, thats if he/shes to go with other tort/s.
It would certainly benefit healthwise by removing it from the habitat its in!! Place it in the correct enviroment ie a tortoise table & feed it the correct diet of weeds etc & it is sure to thrive and have a much better life.
When purchased from this type of seller I always look upon it more as a rescue mission.
I agree with Tortoise Nut it does look big for 2yrs old & I would query that for sure,
I think this tortoise looks fine. Of course, it is difficult to tell just going by a picture.

What I would say is don't be too quick to dismiss the habitat. Vivs have a lot going for them, if you are willing to persevere and tweak it. I can't really see how much ventilation is available in the viv in the picture. My viv has mesh running all the way along the back. Tables are great (I use both) but they are NOT the only way to keep a tortoise.

I agree he looks quite big for two years old. I think it can be very difficult to get an accurate idea of age with horsfields, unless you get them from a breeder.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

He looks Ok, just pulled back into his shell, probably frightened - but its hard to access health from a photo. I too would echo what the others have said & give him a chance. Monitor him closely & act quickly if you feel anything is amiss - but with good care he will probably be fine.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Hard to tell but that shell doesn't look too good to me, he looks to big for it...
Old 10-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
wigwamman
Juvenile

in picture 2 all looks well.
in picture 1 the seam between carapace and plastron seems rather high up to me,also the price is a little o.t.t.
probably not had the best of care!!
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
burnt toast
Adult

Yes price is high, I think those websites incl "preloved" they do price them rediculoursly high but you notice they dont sell quickly so must sell for less in the end.

Offer him less especially as he has said needs him sold in 2 weeks pref.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote