Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 25-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #1
SpurThighUK
Egg

Smile Bill- rescue tortoise

Hi everyone,

Last Saturday I rescued a ten year old Spur thigh called Bill which brings my total of tortoises up to five now! He was kept in really bad conditions. The owner kept him and his sister in a tiny cage in a greenhouse. They were out there every winter with no heat lamp or back up heating. They were fed lettuce and fruit and didn't have access to the garden. It's all so infuriating as with research a tortoises welfare can be improved dramatically.

His sister has gone to a friend from the club who keep Spur thigh, she was in worse conditions with frost bite on her jaw, bites which bill had given her and more scabs, both of them are severely dehydrated with sunken eyes.

As soon as he came home he went into the garden for some sun and was immediately basking having never had heat before, even when he's indoors room temperature gets him thrashing about his enclosure!He's doing fantastically now that he's come to me, his eyes have filled out and he's eating loads of weeds.

Photobucket's website seems to be down so I will upload photos when it's up and running again.

Have a great weekend everyone,

Olly

http://berkshiretortoiseclub.weebly.com
SpurThighUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
Stellanne
Hatchling

Olly, so glad you have been able to give a fab home to Bill. All my torts are rehomed, some from not great places. It is a great pleasure to see them doing what comes naturally and flourish in a caring environment. Well done you. Can't wait to see the photos x x. Hugs x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

Olly, how fantastic you now have Bill ! Can't wait for the photographs. Mine too are all little adoptee 'rescues', some with behavioural problems. I'm sure he will relish his life with you, Frankie & Agnes, in particular. Mojo and peaches ! Shame the summer is over, are you going to overwinter I suspect? CB
Old 25-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #4
Kighill
Incubating

All the best with your new rescue.
I am constantly shocked with the photographs and housing I see tortoises in when they are advertised for sale.
I did a lot of research and was fully aware of the pitfalls of incorrect housing and the light/heat requirements of tortoise before starting in the hobby.
Let's hope more people use this website before keeping tortoises or in order to improve the current situation their tortoises find themselves in.
Kighill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #5
SpurThighUK
Egg

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
Olly, how fantastic you now have Bill ! Can't wait for the photographs. Mine too are all little adoptee 'rescues', some with behavioural problems. I'm sure he will relish his life with you, Frankie & Agnes, in particular. Mojo and peaches ! Shame the summer is over, are you going to overwinter I suspect? CB
Bill will be overwintered, Frankie and Agnes hibernated if their vet check goes well and Mojo and Peaches I'm still deciding..

Old 25-09-2015, 10:41 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

Well done for giving Bill a wonderful new home. It's heartbreaking to read how some torts have been kept before being rehomed, but I'm sure Bill will love every second of settling into his new home.
It's certainly very rewarding to rehome.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 08:12 AM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

one thing! if this 10 year tort has been hibernated then you may have one hell of a job to keep him awake so be prepared in case you don't have a choice.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #8
Catwoman63
Adult

Well done for rescuing Bill, I'm sure he will be very happy with you x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
one thing! if this 10 year tort has been hibernated then you may have one hell of a job to keep him awake so be prepared in case you don't have a choice.
good point with that. I had a tortoise many years ago called Flat Eric, badly deformed and thought I was doing the right thing and he did not like it at all. Difficult time. Good job Bill is in v safe hands though.
Old 26-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #10
SpurThighUK
Egg

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
He's never been hibernated before, along with his sister, and at the moment has no intention of slowing down!