Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 24-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #21
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I think Cecil already had MBD Paul when Tracy got him. With that already happening you need to go over the top with the calcium and vitamin D3. If you don't it lingers and with the change it just made everything that much less, supplement wise. So it got worse than it already was.

Danny
Old 25-01-2009, 02:05 AM   #22
Beverley
Adult

I agree with Danny, its probably been going on for quite a while and even before you got him.
I have been to this vets myself and she is ok. It will improve over time with plenty of calcium, I do hope your little one improves soon
Old 25-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #23
Evie
Sub Adult

Tracy I have recently found out my Leopard has MBD - I felt so guilty because I thought it was something I had done.

Danny is right in what he is saying - Lillie has a liquid calcium ( 3 mls) on her food everyday as well as her usual limestone flour - she has been on this for several weeks now and her shell has improved and she seems to be getting stonger - however, she will only really benefit when the sun comes and she can be outside.

She had been given the wrong diet for many years before I got her and even with me supplementing her daily and changing her diet she has still suffered in the long run.

It is a long process but hopefully he will eventually get stronger.

Last edited by Evie; 25-01-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #24
Paulg1
Adult

I agree danny. I just didn't want her thinking it was what she had done in a months time. The little guy does need to have the calcium up'd but his body will only absorb so much at any one time. Just make sure the cal doesn't have vit A but something like betacarotine so the absorbtion is at it's best.

"Stop the world, I want to get off!"
Paulg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #25
STEWIE
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
With that already happening you need to go over the top with the calcium and vitamin D3. If you don't it lingers and with the change it just made everything that much less, supplement wise. So it got worse than it already was.

Danny
Spot on advice there by dan, just have to put in my two peniths on this subject. I`m treating a tort that had severe mbd we didnt think she`d pull through for along time and i cant stress enough that d3 is so so so vital. My tort stopped growing completely and it was a day to day intensive care battle in the begining, thankfully shes started to grow just recently and even though still weak in comparison to the others shes got through the worst(touch wood).
D3 can be given by injections initialy to start this tort off and a good vets care advice is needed i`d say.
Its taken me over 2 years and its a long road and you need to give alot of intensive care and be prepared to be frustrated at times. But i can see a difference in my tort now and she is even starting to grow in places too on her shell so dont give up as it can be treated successfully but it is a long road and wont be stopped overnight as everyone here has said.
http://gaiaexotics.com/MBD.html

Best of luck

Last edited by STEWIE; 28-01-2009 at 10:24 PM.
STEWIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #26
Leosmummy
Egg

We have the same problem I took Leo to the emergency vet last night, they gave me some vitamin d and calcium (which im finding almost impossible to get into him). We are at his regular vets this afternoon.

Also his shell has turned a dark colour and spongy around the edges and underneath

Last edited by Leosmummy; 29-01-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Leosmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #27
Evie
Sub Adult

Sorry to hear about your little one - have you got the liquid calcium?

My little one has done very well on Zolcal - D

Good luck with him
Old 29-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #28
Littleem
Incubating

My littlest has problems, soft shell,metabolic probs etc, was told UVB, lots of suppliments and time should help...

Evie is Zolcal D something that the vet has to prescribe?

Em
Old 29-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #29
STEWIE
Incubating

Try this aswell guys, its amazing, full of all vits, fiber, probiotic, calcium, suitable for any type of tortoise and its organic too. Its just really good and made such a difference in my tort with mbd. I know of tonnes of people whos tortoises its helped recover from illness when they need that extra support.
http://carolinapetsupply.com/catalog...index&cPath=58
STEWIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #30
Evie
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleem View Post
My littlest has problems, soft shell,metabolic probs etc, was told UVB, lots of suppliments and time should help...

Evie is Zolcal D something that the vet has to prescribe?

Em
I am told you can buy it from the internet - you would need to check dosage - weight though. Lillie has been on it since end of Oct and for another 8 weeks - then hopefully she will just go back to normal supplements and plenty of sun.

Lillie is 2 5 kgms and has 3 mls per day - I put it on her food and she eats the lot.

The sun will make a big difference so I am hoping she will really pick up in the summer.