Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 26-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
burnt toast
Adult

Default Got these......

From e-bay, for a very good price. Dismantled & stashed at the moment, will erect next spring (hubby doesnt know yet!!) Darker one is full size shed, but only 50" high. Got them for a really good price. I know where they are going but dont know who's going to live in them yet
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Easter Bunny
Adult

They are brilliant. How did you manage to hide them from hubby?

I never seem to get any bargains
Old 26-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Lynn they are brilliant, maybe you could convince hubby to put s bit of insulation in there when he gets around to errecting them- tell him it'll save on the leccy bill
Old 26-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

They're fabulous! Wish I had room in the garden for one......

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 05:35 AM   #5
lynnedit
Hatched

Very nice!
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

they look well made and strong which makes a change, most of the shop ones are rubbish, maybe someone had a handy hubby, they should last for years. I'll have to start looking for something like that for my sully if we don't go for a shed.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
they look well made and strong which makes a change, most of the shop ones are rubbish, maybe someone had a handy hubby, they should last for years. I'll have to start looking for something like that for my sully if we don't go for a shed.
How about a playhouse Ann? or a chicken coup? They do some decent size ones & you dont need the full height. (Ive seen loads come up & go for a song on e-bay)
Old 27-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNNEEASTER View Post
They are brilliant. How did you manage to hide them from hubby?

I never seem to get any bargains
It was really spooky, same seller, happened to be in the same postcode area as me- only 4 miles away! Buyer was supposed to dismantle & collect, so I contacted them to ask if I could come round & pay Sun morning if I won them, take the smaller one in car but collect the bigger one when I had borrowed works van & they said if I won them they would dismantle & deliver for free as I was so close! Even better hubby was out!! I have a big garden. so easy to hide.

& yes Bindi will definately insulate them - I was pleased with the height, as both will take a lamp. I wanted something heavy as paranoid about recent thefts of torts being taken - in their huts
Old 27-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
Pussygalore
Adult

Bolder is only a year old so it will be a few years before he's outgrown his brick coldframe and we can extend into the next one when the time comes. I was looking at the adults (gone now) coldframe and think we may try to see if it will fit in bolders big cold frame, if so it could have the ceramic in it and it would be a nice house for him. At the moment he has a hedghog house but when he's in there he's in the dark and he will hide up, at least with a small cold frame in a big one he'll still be in the light (if that makes sense). There's a row of enormous old brick frames each about 10ft x 5ft, hubby made a new split lid for the end one, half is open wire and the other has perspex but I can leave it open if wanted as there's a wire roof under the perpsex one. The open side is turfed and the other paving slabs/sand and soil, in principle all we need to do to enlarge is to knock through into the next, Bolders nice and safe in there untill he gets bigger and it gets all of the sun (if any). The shed or similar would be for when he's big enough to have a proper outside garden without the wired top.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
Bolder is only a year old so it will be a few years before he's outgrown his brick coldframe and we can extend into the next one when the time comes. I was looking at the adults (gone now) coldframe and think we may try to see if it will fit in bolders big cold frame, if so it could have the ceramic in it and it would be a nice house for him. At the moment he has a hedghog house but when he's in there he's in the dark and he will hide up, at least with a small cold frame in a big one he'll still be in the light (if that makes sense). There's a row of enormous old brick frames each about 10ft x 5ft, hubby made a new split lid for the end one, half is open wire and the other has perspex but I can leave it open if wanted as there's a wire roof under the perpsex one. The open side is turfed and the other paving slabs/sand and soil, in principle all we need to do to enlarge is to knock through into the next, Bolders nice and safe in there untill he gets bigger and it gets all of the sun (if any). The shed or similar would be for when he's big enough to have a proper outside garden without the wired top.
Yes I get the idea, sounds like he's sorted for a few years yet then Ann.