Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Default This article affects humans but might it be the same for torts getting Nutrobal?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15238610

When it comes to vitamins, it appears you could have too much of a good thing, say researchers who report a link between their use and higher death rates among older women.

Experts have suspected for some time that supplements may only be beneficial if a person is deficient in a nutrient.

And excess may even harm, as the study in Archives of Internal Medicine finds
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Many vitamins are stored for a long time ... If you have a good varied diet would you need anything other than Vit D?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15151930
Old 11-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeandmytortoise View Post
Many vitamins are stored for a long time ... If you have a good varied diet would you need anything other than Vit D?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15151930
I heard about that the other day, people in offices are often Vit D deficient too and end up with rickets
Old 11-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Watermelon
Adult

Its not just supplements, I can guarantee people have too much of certain micro nutrients every day just through food alone and they can have negative effects. For example I recorded my diet for a few days last year as a nutrition assignment and one day I had 228% of Vitamin C which has downside effects such as stomach cramps, nausea, headaches and diarrhea. Thats just one example and they are only mild disadvantages.

Macro Nutrients wise I did not consume enough southgate fibre and englyst fibre. Too little dietary fibre can increase chance of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and even cancer of the large intestine. The average amount of sugar I consumed every day is 288g which is way over the 40g recommended daily allowance. This could put me at risk of heart disease and maturity onset diabetes.

However we only recorded diets for a few days so its not like I consume 228g of sugar every day.
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
Kirkie
Adult

I have to much C2H5OH in my diet.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
Kirkie
Adult

Thats the thing with suppliments, they should top up whats being provided in regular food, not really provide 100% of the requirement.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
Watermelon
Adult

Sorry sort of went off on one there lol. Didnt really write anything about nutrabol!

Just read this abstract http://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/cont...6/831.abstract

"The tortoises that received three times the recommended calcium supplementation had the highest growth rate and were thriving."
Old 11-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Watermelon
Adult

P.s some things don't have a negative effect do they? My doctor told me that if I ever take more Iron then I should (tablet form) then it'll simply pass through my body. However maybe there is a certain limit before negative effects take place I don't know.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

Iron is the most dangerous to overdose on as it corrodes the stomach lining. We've discussed before too the dangers of oversupplementing d3 in reptiles especially when using UV lighting as well as. I think if your providing a varied diet with added calcium you shouldn't be using nutrobal regularly either, especially given how concentrated it is.

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelon View Post
P.s some things don't have a negative effect do they? My doctor told me that if I ever take more Iron then I should (tablet form) then it'll simply pass through my body. However maybe there is a certain limit before negative effects take place I don't know.
When I was in hospital we used to get given mackeson stout for iron and we used to lie about how many we'd had to different nurses so we used to get blootered on valium and stout