Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 01-06-2021, 05:54 PM   #11
CherryBrandy
Adult

thanks Emma, I will have to post my chicory plants - they are ginormous bu tthe horsfields would devour in one minute if i let them ! suns out - C x
Old 04-06-2021, 02:44 PM   #12
emma_mcraf
Adult

I think it's been a really good spring to help the weeds and plants along for the torts, Clare.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:20 PM   #13
burnt toast
Adult

I have some wild chichory with 2ft leaves & the centre stems have big crowns on. I think they have loved the rain
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:31 PM   #14
tortydat
Sub Adult

I used to have some chicory before we moved but seem to have lost it where we are now.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:19 AM   #15
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
I used to have some chicory before we moved but seem to have lost it where we are now.
You can buy seeds cheaply on ebay Mary. Although I have brought more & sprinkled in new areas these just came up! I think from last year.

I actually tried to grow blue sow thistle for several years. It grows wild in the area near our caravan (welsh/ Shropshire border) I have tried seeds, cuttings, transplanting... Nothing.. Then this year it just seems to have appeared & happy. Huge leaves that the torts love!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:33 AM   #16
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
You can buy seeds cheaply on ebay Mary. Although I have brought more & sprinkled in new areas these just came up! I think from last year.

I actually tried to grow blue sow thistle for several years. It grows wild in the area near our caravan (welsh/ Shropshire border) I have tried seeds, cuttings, transplanting... Nothing.. Then this year it just seems to have appeared & happy. Huge leaves that the torts love!
Blue sowthistle sounds nice, Lynn. Must keep my eye out.
I often find it can take a whole year until seeds I'd planted out the previous spring decide to pop up.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 16-06-2021, 09:24 PM   #17
CherryBrandy
Adult

apparently seeds need a snap of cold before they kick start , not sure on that. I decided I love chicory its huge !! i have never seen such large leaves which the torts love. And the flowers are so lovely and blue when they come out. I have grown 3 grape vines too as they love the leaves also, CB
Old 20-06-2021, 07:59 PM   #18
emma_mcraf
Adult

Yes, I always sow my seeds in the autumn so they can get through the winter and usually emerge really well in the spring. I think I need some chicory. My teasel keeps coming back year after year with huge leaves. Have to take scissors out to cut them off or I get well and truly caught by the thorns.