Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 22-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
Amber89
Egg

Default Worried about my horsfield

My 2 year old horsfield doesn't really eat or move a lot and is sleeping all the time I'm really worried and do t know if I'm doing something wrong as I am new to this.....thanks in advance
Amber89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber89 View Post
My 2 year old horsfield doesn't really eat or move a lot and is sleeping all the time I'm really worried and do t know if I'm doing something wrong as I am new to this.....thanks in advance
How are you keeping your tortoise is he indoors all the time in a table with a lamp or is he outside part of the time and what sort of temperatures is he kept at? What are you feeding him on? Has he always been sleepy or is this something that has just started?
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #3
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
How are you keeping your tortoise is he indoors all the time in a table with a lamp or is he outside part of the time and what sort of temperatures is he kept at? What are you feeding him on? Has he always been sleepy or is this something that has just started?
I would ask all the same questions, so if you could give us a bit more information, hopefully we might be able to help you.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #4
Amber89
Egg

She's in a 3 foot by 3 foot table all the time as it is quite cold here her temperatures are 34 degrees c at the basking era and about 22 in the cool side using top soil for substrate I feed her romaine lettuce and spring mix with calcium powder and vitamin powder so she gets what she needs I also have a cuttle fish bone in there too she has baths once a week as well I know she's well hydrated because her urine is clear that's about all......thanks in advance
Old 23-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #5
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
She's in a 3 foot by 3 foot table all the time as it is quite cold here her temperatures are 34 degrees c at the basking era and about 22 in the cool side using top soil for substrate I feed her romaine lettuce and spring mix with calcium powder and vitamin powder so she gets what she needs I also have a cuttle fish bone in there too she has baths once a week as well I know she's well hydrated because her urine is clear that's about all......thanks in advance
The temps sound good, but what lighting do you use? Is it just heat or uv as well (either a combined bulb or separate)
How big is she, how much do you feed, how long have you had her?

Sorry to bombard you with more questions just trying to get as good an understanding as I can!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 09:00 PM   #6
tortydat
Sub Adult

You could try varying her diet by including a wide variety of weeds and especially flowers as my Horsfields love them and also increase her bathing for more often.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 08:32 AM   #7
Suze65
Adult

The temps do sound ok, but I would lower the basking temp to 31c, it might be too hot for her, and see how she responds to this, and I agree with varying her diet a bit more, with weeds and flowers.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

if my Horsfields ever go under lamps they are at 25 - 29 - they seem a species that don't seem to like it too hot. and or too damp. They will burrow all the time regardless as they are right diggers and don't move for hours on end if dug down (temps different there too obviously). think if you can answer some of the questions there may be more we can tell but remember each tortoise is quite individual also. Horsfield need a lot to do otherwise they get bored. CB
Old 26-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #9
Amber89
Egg

I use heat and UV separate her in closure is new she's three and a half inches long all she really does is bury and stay there nearly all day I'm worried because she was active when I got her
Old 28-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #10
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
I use heat and UV separate her in closure is new she's three and a half inches long all she really does is bury and stay there nearly all day I'm worried because she was active when I got her
How long have you had her? They can take weeks to settle after the initial stress of moving
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote