Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 31-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Krissie
Egg

Default Hello from new THB guardian

Hello there

I'm Krissie from Dublin, a very new tortoise owner! (Well, who owns who is not exactly clear... this little creature is training me quite well). Here is the long story of how I got here to meet you.

First a confession! Mr Chewie (7-year-old Hermanni Boettgeri) was bought at the end of March from a pet shop absolutely on impulse... The guys at the shop seemed really knowledgeable and said they'd give us a great deal (with the viv, lights, etc.) because he'd been there for many months and not been bought. And they took him out and let him walk around a bit and apparently my heart melted and... Uh, could not leave him.

They also said he was female, and did not say what the exact species was. And that they did not have any paperwork for him.

Needless to say, if someone doesn't really know much about tortoises, this didn't throw up any red flags... My partner was with me and he said I was a bit spell-bound though

So off we went taking the little guy home. Fed him some apple slices and thus the name Chewie (you can imagine the enormous crunching).

Then, as happens with pretty much anything interesting, I got a little...uh... obsessed about finding out everything ever about Chewie and his care. We were horrified to learn that the setup we bought was completely unsuitable (even the lights... and we'd gotten extra bedding, think it was the ReptiBark thing), and set up making A LOT of changes.

Chewie soon moved to a 1.3 x 6 ft tortoise table (I built this from two book-cases - one on the side and his enclosure on top on its back). He has an Arcadia D3 combined basking / UV lamp (and an extra stip-light), with soil / play sand mix for substrate, he eats only weeds etc. (I am constantly trying to identify more plants that are good for him... found plantain and sow thistle today and of course dandelions are his favourite and also there are now seeds growing constantly... plus some SW dried grass & flower mix on the way for a snuggly edible bedding in his hide) and is getting a calcium supplement daily. His behaviour changed from very quiet to a complete little nutter - well, basically like a 7-year old kid He is the might destroyer of anything that can be climbed on! And he looks really happy and energetic (except when sprawling under the basking light of course) and seems to have gotten a lot stronger. He's also been de-wormed and his beak and claws trimmed, although he'll need another beak trim soon.

YOU GUYS are to thank for the improvement in his life. So thank you! I've read thousands of pages on these forums and on tortoise trust website, and although this is my first post, I have taken a lot of ideas from you all.

The next, very very important thing is to get Chewie outside--we live in an apartment but have a large balcony, so we're currently planning to build a bigger enclosure there for the little guy (and after that, enlarging the indoor space a bit by building a second floor to his table).

x
Krissie
Krissie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
animalmad
Hatched

thats a great story, its terrible how surposed experts at pets shops have no clue about how to look after the animals they sell, the advice on here is great x
animalmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
Krissie
Egg

Thanks And I agree... Not to mention selling Chewie to us without a cert or anything was completely illegal. Still mulling over what to do about this, we'll likely get him chipped anyway, in case anything ever happens like if he gets lost.
Old 31-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Merlin M
Adult

Welcome, yeah I found this place a God send too! Like you I got some bad info from a pet shop, but all good now! Amazing how the personality shines through once they settle in!! Hope you have many happy years together!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Welcome to the forum Krissie

Just for the heck of it you might want to post pictures in the ID section just to make sure you do have a Hermanns.

Danny
Old 31-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Krissie
Egg

Thanks!
Old 31-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Krissie
Egg

Thank you And great idea! I'll try to get some clear photos this weekend (have just lots of actions shots right now lol) and post them there just to be extra sure.
Old 31-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
TillyTortoise
Adult

Hello and welcome
Old 01-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Welcome! You'll find some good info here-and a few different opinions - and we'll try to help you out. Looking forward to the pictures.
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
kkenny
Sub Adult

Hi from a fellow THB keeper, I would love to see some pics. You can get him/her sexed on here too.

Well done you!

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote