Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 23-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
Maddy
Incubating

Default Latest Microchipping info

Hi there,
I just wondered if anyone could give me the latest info on Microchipping law.
I don't breed or sell my tortoises and as I don't agree with them being microchipped I've not had them done. They have the relevant article 10 certificates. (& are a minimum of 5 years old)
I saw a lady I know this morning who had taken hers to be wormed at the vets and she said she was told it was now law that ALL tortoises are chipped over a certain size and had hers done there and then.
I've tried searching on Internet/defra site but it's as clear as mud.
Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks
Maddy
Maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Maddy. I don't think that's correct. My understanding is that it's OK to simply have and keep your tortoise without a chip. Any breeding for sale involves microchipping of adults and sale of a tortoise over a certain size requires that the animal be microchipped as well as having a certificate for those species which need them.
Old 23-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
Stellanne
Hatchling

That is my understanding too. X x x hugs x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #4
Gordon
Adult

Hi Maddy as Jonathan has said they do not ever need chipping while you own them the only time they need chipping is if you sell them or breed from them and want to sell the babies but even then you don't have to do it if you give them away.

Last edited by Gordon; 23-06-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

Yep, I agree with the others. I know you don't intend to microchip your torts, but if circumstances ever change ask for the mini microchip which is 8mm compared to the standard 12mm chip. It really does make a difference. A lot of vets are stocking the mini microchip but if not you can order them directly from the manufacturer and have them sent to your vet. I have bought mine directly from this supplier. http://www.microidglobal.com/product...l-mini-chip-2/

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
alley cat
Adult

If they are horsfields there is no microchipping necessary at all.

Just noticed they have paperwork so clearly not horsfields!
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

sorry but as far as I'm aware they can't have the correct article 10's unless they are microchipped as the baby/hatchling certs don't apply once the tort gets to be a certain age/size. Have you thought that having them chipped might be the only way of getting them back should they be stolen or go missing? apart from the need for adult certs for them, its all very well saying that you'll never sell or breed but no one can tell what lies ahead and any future owner, should there be any, would have to come back to you as to why they weren't done. Having a chip inserted isn't a particulary painfull process for a large tort and is very quick, mine didn't even seem bothered ( adult Ibera) they were't chipped and I wanted to breed. So whether you sell, give them away or keep them I think that having your pets chipped is the responsible thing to do regardless of whether its law or not, why are torts any different from your dog or cat.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #8
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy View Post
Hi there,
I just wondered if anyone could give me the latest info on Microchipping law.
I don't breed or sell my tortoises and as I don't agree with them being microchipped I've not had them done. They have the relevant article 10 certificates. (& are a minimum of 5 years old)
I saw a lady I know this morning who had taken hers to be wormed at the vets and she said she was told it was now law that ALL tortoises are chipped over a certain size and had hers done there and then.
I've tried searching on Internet/defra site but it's as clear as mud.
Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks
Maddy

If your tortoises are five years old and have the relevant paperwork from when they hatched thats fine. Its only since the new regulations came into force, that now and I think it was 2012 it started, that all hatchlings that are sold have to have to be microchipped before they are sold/registered.
I have some torts that have the correct paperwork (before the new regs).

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #9
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I personally don't think there is any point unless the keeper intends to sell offspring. There are different views on the subject of course, but it does mean inserting a foreign body into the animal with dubious benefits.

Does anyone know of a case where an owner whose tortoise was stolen later got it back purely because of the tortoise having a microchip? I've never come across one.
Old 23-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #10
Maddy
Incubating

Many thanks for the helpful comments
Opinions always vary....
Maddy is offline   Reply With Quote