Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 16-06-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
Tortoise28
Egg

Default Tortoise!!

Tortoises tortoises tortoises

Last edited by Tortoise28; 11-04-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Tortoise28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
Jan W
Sub Adult

I haven't a clue to be honest!

I'm sure someone will be able to give the right advice..

I would probably speak to my vet first as my torts are registered with him. I'm also a member of the RSPCA so would probably contact them with the story too. You do not need to be a member to get email advice, just go onto their home page.

DEFRA - they do tend to be about rules and regulations and that is why I would probably go to them third in the list. I can't imagine they would take the tortoises away as where would they take them? Sadly because her dad has died there is no-one to prosecute.

I am no expert! Thought I would respond as no-one else has just yet.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 17-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
Jan W
Sub Adult

Sorry just re-read my post - I did not mean sad that no-one could be prosecuted, but really meaning sadly because her father has died.
Old 17-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

Sorry to hear of the bereavement and welcome to the SW.
There is no moratorium on committing a criminal act, ill conceived but with no doubt good intent and misinformed. Proceeds of crime. Could be confiscated. My advice is that I suspect her father probably didn't know what he was talking about in the last years of ill health and hope some one gives them a loving long home.

CB
Old 17-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
Tortoise28
Egg

11–1111111

Last edited by Tortoise28; 11-04-2018 at 03:16 AM.
Old 17-06-2016, 02:03 PM   #6
Jan W
Sub Adult

Dear Josh
I have spoken to someone who knows a little about DEFRA. He said the best course of action is to write a letter (rather than email) explaining the simple fact that she has been left 2 tortoises without certification by her father and is aware there should be some form of registration. There is no need to elaborate, but seek advice on how she can keep them, as per her father's wishes and apply for registration.

DEFRA INFO:

Defra Helpline

Nobel House
17 Smith Square
London

SW1P 3JR

Telephone (UK only)
03459 33 55 77

Telephone (from outside the UK)
+44 20 7238 6951

The quickest way to get a response is to call our Helpline which is open Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 6:00 pm (find out about call charges at www.gov.uk/call-charges). Alternatively you can email us at defra.helpline@defra.gsi.gov.uk or write to us at the postal address given above. We aim to reply to emails or letters within fifteen working days.
Old 17-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #7
JerryMaffz
Incubating

This kind of thing is still going on today, with hatchling tortoises openly sold to tourists at the beaches and markets of Tunisia. It's a despicable trade. People think they're doing the right thing by 'rescuing' these creatures. They are just fuelling a vile trade, unfortunately.
However, to answer your question...and to probably do what's best for these tortoises. I would say that unless she is intending to sell them, why attempt to register them?

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #8
Tortoise28
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMaffz View Post
This kind of thing is still going on today, with hatchling tortoises openly sold to tourists at the beaches and markets of Tunisia. It's a despicable trade. People think they're doing the right thing by 'rescuing' these creatures. They are just fuelling a vile trade, unfortunately.
However, to answer your question...and to probably do what's best for these tortoises. I would say that unless she is intending to sell them, why attempt to register them?

Your quite right they were purchased from a market near their resort, its a terrible trade. Although I don't think he wanted to 'rescue' them I believe he was uneducated in tortoise law and just took the chance to own 2 for a small fee.

True, I don't think she intends to sell them .
Old 17-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #9
Suze65
Adult

It happened a long time ago, by some one who has passed away, and is gifting them to her in a will, no money is being exchanged so no certs are required. I don't see what will be achieved by contacting Defra. Except they might be confiscated and given to a rescu centre, for what perpose.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #10
4chester
Incubating

Don't go to the rspca - as Jan has said draw up a letter to DEFRA saying you have been gifted 2 tortoises

The RSPCA are now a political group with their own agenda and have been under review for some of their practises by parliament

They do not support exotic/reptile keeping as a whole, and want to see all exotics banned. if your on Facebook please follow Chris Newman ( one of the main people in the international herptilogical society )

The IHS are one of the main groups fighting to ensure we can keep reptiles as pets

It's also the IHS reptile show in Doncaster on Sunday 😀

Mark
4chester is offline   Reply With Quote